Offshoring and outsourcing: the debate is underway
Too often political and policy dialogue gets dragged down into the mud. One needs only to peruse the cable news airwaves on any given weeknight to find a pair pundits trying to talk over one another. This makes for good television, sure. But in the end, not much has been settled. You can get the same experience watching an episode of The Jerry Springer Show.
Not so in a series of online debates hosted by The Economist. Styled after the arguments before the well-heeled Oxford Union debating society, the magazine brings intellectuals together to hash out the pros and cons of the topic at hand. And this week, the topic is one that's dear to our hearts: Offshoring and outsourcing.
Here's the question posed: Do multinational corporations have a duty to maintain a strong presence in their home countries?
We certainly think so. And luckily, our side of the argument is in good hands. Defending the motion (answering yes) is Harry A. Moser, founder of the Reshoring Initative. Moser has been locking horns for a few days with Jagdish Bhagwati, a Columbia University economist.
It's up to the online audience to decide who's got the stronger argument, and right now Mr. Moser trails by a few points. Their back-and-forth has made for a very entertaining read. So follow along, and if you agree with Harry, help him win the day by casting a ballot for yes. Voting ends Friday!
Related recent Blogs
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- We’re Live From Netroots Nation! • by elizabethbb • 07/17/2014
- So Much For Promises: China's Manipulating Its Currency, Again • by mmcmullan • 07/17/2014
- The OCTG Trade Case Heads to the International Trade Commission • by TGarland • 07/16/2014
- Postcard from Iowa: AAM Field Coordinators Hop The Fence, Hang With Democrats • by mmcmullan • 07/16/2014
- Yellen: Infrastructure Funding Would "Counter" Economic Headwinds • by elizabethbb • 07/15/2014
- Let’s Build a Bridge and Fix the Highway Trust Fund • by elizabethbb • 07/15/2014