Offshoring and outsourcing: the debate is underway
Too often political and policy dialogue gets dragged down into the mud. One needs only to peruse the cable news airwaves on any given weeknight to find a pair pundits trying to talk over one another. This makes for good television, sure. But in the end, not much has been settled. You can get the same experience watching an episode of The Jerry Springer Show.
Not so in a series of online debates hosted by The Economist. Styled after the arguments before the well-heeled Oxford Union debating society, the magazine brings intellectuals together to hash out the pros and cons of the topic at hand. And this week, the topic is one that's dear to our hearts: Offshoring and outsourcing.
Here's the question posed: Do multinational corporations have a duty to maintain a strong presence in their home countries?
We certainly think so. And luckily, our side of the argument is in good hands. Defending the motion (answering yes) is Harry A. Moser, founder of the Reshoring Initative. Moser has been locking horns for a few days with Jagdish Bhagwati, a Columbia University economist.
It's up to the online audience to decide who's got the stronger argument, and right now Mr. Moser trails by a few points. Their back-and-forth has made for a very entertaining read. So follow along, and if you agree with Harry, help him win the day by casting a ballot for yes. Voting ends Friday!
Related recent Blogs
- A Boy Scout badge in advanced manufacturing? • by TGarland • 03/10/2014
- Donald Trump addresses CPAC crowds on key AAM issues • by LRaup • 03/07/2014
- It wasn't all weather: What's behind the weak manufacturing jobs report. • by admin • 03/07/2014
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- The U.S. needs a stronger domestic supply chain in the event of an attack • by TGarland • 03/04/2014
- Campaigns and political parties take note: We've got the key to attracting voters • by LDonia • 03/03/2014
- And the award goes to ... American workers • by TGarland • 03/03/2014