Obama campaign fires back at Romney ad with a TV spot on China and outsourcing
Voters are worried about outsourcing and China. As a recent national poll by the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) demonstrates, concerns about jobs, outsourcing, and trade with China have become major issues for voters:
• 68% of voters think China’s violations of international trade rules are costing the U.S. jobs.
• 62% of voters want Washington to get tough on China’s violations of trade agreements.
• 83% of voters have an unfavorable view of companies that outsource jobs to China.
• 97% of voters have a favorable view of goods manufactured in the U.S.
Both the Romney and Obama campaigns are well aware of the ramifications of this polling, and both are now firing back and forth with TV ads that attempt to contrast each other's approach to China.
Recently, the Romney campaign began running ads that say President Obama has failed to confront China's predatory trade tactics, like currency manipulation. (Those ads ignore VP running mate Paul Ryan's Congressional record of voting against China currency legislation).
In rebuttal, the Obama campaign has now begun running ads that tout Romney's record of outsourcing and investment in China.
The to-and-fro on China seems likely to continue, as both sides attempt to claim the stronger stance in confronting Beijing. Unfortunately, both have a mixed record, as we reported earlier.
Related recent Blogs
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013