Obama campaign fires back at Romney ad with a TV spot on China and outsourcing
Voters are worried about outsourcing and China. As a recent national poll by the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) demonstrates, concerns about jobs, outsourcing, and trade with China have become major issues for voters:
• 68% of voters think China’s violations of international trade rules are costing the U.S. jobs.
• 62% of voters want Washington to get tough on China’s violations of trade agreements.
• 83% of voters have an unfavorable view of companies that outsource jobs to China.
• 97% of voters have a favorable view of goods manufactured in the U.S.
Both the Romney and Obama campaigns are well aware of the ramifications of this polling, and both are now firing back and forth with TV ads that attempt to contrast each other's approach to China.
Recently, the Romney campaign began running ads that say President Obama has failed to confront China's predatory trade tactics, like currency manipulation. (Those ads ignore VP running mate Paul Ryan's Congressional record of voting against China currency legislation).
In rebuttal, the Obama campaign has now begun running ads that tout Romney's record of outsourcing and investment in China.
The to-and-fro on China seems likely to continue, as both sides attempt to claim the stronger stance in confronting Beijing. Unfortunately, both have a mixed record, as we reported earlier.
Related recent Blogs
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- So Excellent, So Bodacious: Check Out Some American-made Smartphone Style • by mmcmullan • 07/18/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- We’re Live From Netroots Nation! • by elizabethbb • 07/17/2014