Obama campaign fires back at Romney ad with a TV spot on China and outsourcing
Voters are worried about outsourcing and China. As a recent national poll by the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) demonstrates, concerns about jobs, outsourcing, and trade with China have become major issues for voters:
• 68% of voters think China’s violations of international trade rules are costing the U.S. jobs.
• 62% of voters want Washington to get tough on China’s violations of trade agreements.
• 83% of voters have an unfavorable view of companies that outsource jobs to China.
• 97% of voters have a favorable view of goods manufactured in the U.S.
Both the Romney and Obama campaigns are well aware of the ramifications of this polling, and both are now firing back and forth with TV ads that attempt to contrast each other's approach to China.
Recently, the Romney campaign began running ads that say President Obama has failed to confront China's predatory trade tactics, like currency manipulation. (Those ads ignore VP running mate Paul Ryan's Congressional record of voting against China currency legislation).
In rebuttal, the Obama campaign has now begun running ads that tout Romney's record of outsourcing and investment in China.
The to-and-fro on China seems likely to continue, as both sides attempt to claim the stronger stance in confronting Beijing. Unfortunately, both have a mixed record, as we reported earlier.
Related recent Blogs
- Quote Of The Day: "It's time the administration stiffened its spine" on trade issues • by mmcmullan • 04/22/2014
- Foxx takes to the road to push for transportation fixes • by mmcmullan • 04/17/2014
- Obama vs. Bush: Who actually made more progress in revaluing China’s yuan? • by scapozzola • 04/16/2014
- Treasury decision on China currency will cost U.S. jobs: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 04/15/2014
- Gathered in the USA • by TGarland • 04/15/2014
- OPINION: Fix the vulnerable defense industrial base • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- April 14, 2014: Opinions, opinions, and Peeps • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- Fashion Friday: Accessorizing the American-made way • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- Manufacturing Jobs & #EqualPay • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- April 11, 2014: Cherry blossoms! • by mmcmullan • 04/11/2014