November 8, 2013: Well howdy do! The #AAMeter actually moves up
Today is jobs report day. We’ve been getting ready, working the bag all week in anticipation of the monthly employment numbers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. So how’d the manufacturing sector do? Let’s take a look:
Okay, that shot of the #AAMeter is deceptively complex. It looks like the meter hasn’t really done much, right? The needle remains buried near zero.
But let’s take a glass-half-full approach, at least for the next paragraph: For the first time in a while, manufacturing employment got a significant bump. With today’s numbers -- 19,000 new manufacturing jobs in October, and revisions showing 15,000 created back in August -- manufacturing employment is actually +35,000 for the year. Before this month, it was only +12,000. While we remain way off pace to reach President Obama’s 1 million new manufacturing jobs by the end of his second term, at least we’re heading in the right direction. Yeesh. Talk about tempering expectations!
So happy jobs report day, America. Stick with us for commentary on the state of manufacturing employment. We'll keep an eye on the media to see if anyone is digging deeper into the jobs numbers than just a lazy topline reading.
Elsewhere around the web:
Here’s a little more context on unemployment: The Associated Press has a quick breakdown of jobless claims and what fueled their rise or fall in states with the biggest shifts. Give it a read here.
Today is jobs report day!
But there’s more to the monthly jobs report than just numbers. There are people behind the data, and their stories deserve to be heard. Do you have one to tell? Have you – or your friends, family, or neighbors – started looking for work recently? Have you stopped? Send in your jobs report to info [at] aamfg [dot] org, tweet it to us at @keepitmadeinUSA, or contact us via Facebook. And read the ever-updating report right here.
Related recent Blogs
- Gathered in the USA • by TGarland • 04/15/2014
- April 14, 2014: Opinions, opinions, and Peeps • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- Fashion Friday: Accessorizing the American-made way • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- Manufacturing Jobs & #EqualPay • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- April 11, 2014: Cherry blossoms! • by mmcmullan • 04/11/2014
- Rep. Sandy Levin talks currency and the TPP • by mmcmullan • 04/10/2014
- Throwback Thursday: Obama promises 1 million new manufacturing jobs • by TGarland • 04/10/2014
- Made in Elma, New York: A special delivery from Mark Andol • by TGarland • 04/09/2014
- Rep. Tonko brings filmmakers to Washington to talk American manufacturing • by TGarland • 04/08/2014
- RADIO: Why is manufacturing important for job creation in Michigan (and the U.S.)? • by scapozzola • 04/07/2014