November 8, 2013: Well howdy do! The #AAMeter actually moves up
Today is jobs report day. We’ve been getting ready, working the bag all week in anticipation of the monthly employment numbers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. So how’d the manufacturing sector do? Let’s take a look:
Okay, that shot of the #AAMeter is deceptively complex. It looks like the meter hasn’t really done much, right? The needle remains buried near zero.
But let’s take a glass-half-full approach, at least for the next paragraph: For the first time in a while, manufacturing employment got a significant bump. With today’s numbers -- 19,000 new manufacturing jobs in October, and revisions showing 15,000 created back in August -- manufacturing employment is actually +35,000 for the year. Before this month, it was only +12,000. While we remain way off pace to reach President Obama’s 1 million new manufacturing jobs by the end of his second term, at least we’re heading in the right direction. Yeesh. Talk about tempering expectations!
So happy jobs report day, America. Stick with us for commentary on the state of manufacturing employment. We'll keep an eye on the media to see if anyone is digging deeper into the jobs numbers than just a lazy topline reading.
Elsewhere around the web:
Here’s a little more context on unemployment: The Associated Press has a quick breakdown of jobless claims and what fueled their rise or fall in states with the biggest shifts. Give it a read here.
Today is jobs report day!
But there’s more to the monthly jobs report than just numbers. There are people behind the data, and their stories deserve to be heard. Do you have one to tell? Have you – or your friends, family, or neighbors – started looking for work recently? Have you stopped? Send in your jobs report to info [at] aamfg [dot] org, tweet it to us at @keepitmadeinUSA, or contact us via Facebook. And read the ever-updating report right here.
Related recent Blogs
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Will This Be the Week for the Highway Trust Fund? • by elizabethbb • 07/28/2014
- July 25, 2014: What We're Watching • by mmcmullan • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- So Excellent, So Bodacious: Check Out Some American-made Smartphone Style • by mmcmullan • 07/18/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014