Newark, NJ-- Garment central during the NCAA East Regionals
Unionwear, a garment manufacturer in Newark, NJ has launched a "Made in Newark" initiative to highlight the city’s 150-year manufacturing history and to introduce consumers to products made in New Jersey.
"Made in Newark" is timed to promote American-made garments and sportswear during the NCAA's eastern regional basketball games.
Workers from Unionwear have been assembling gym bags and baseball caps emblazoned with block-lettered slogans saying "Made in Newark" and "Go Newark Hoop Fest."
Mitch Cahn, president of Unionwear, says that it's important to promote manufacturing in New Jersey. He explained, "It’s huge and nobody knows about it."
Newark is home to 300 factories and 12,000 workers. A Unionwear tag explains: "Location, labor and transit have made Newark the East’s manufacturing hub for 150 years. When you buy locally, you create value in your community."
Cahn says the goal of the initiative is to have as many Newark-made products used during the NCAA tournament as possible in order to help highlight the city's diverse manufacturing base.
Related recent Blogs
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- December 6, 2013: The #AAMeter, it moves (in the right direction)! • by mmcmullan • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013
- Indiana manufacturing program expands • by TGarland • 12/05/2013
- Scott Paul: Keep skilled jobs for skilled workers in Washington • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- December 5, 2013: Another voice for a currency rule in the TPP • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- Some Made in America gift ideas for the obnoxious teenager in your life • by LDonia • 12/04/2013
- Infrastructure investment means job creation • by TGarland • 12/04/2013
- December 4, 2013: Familiar trade deficit doldrums • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013
- What to do with abandoned factories? Bring in the artists! • by LDonia • 12/03/2013