New report shows one in 10 toys manufactured in China are unsafe
Some troubling statistics were released recently that demonstrate just how dangerous toys manufactured in China may be. According to AFP, “China's safety watchdog has found nearly one in ten toys in the domestic market is unsafe, highlighting widespread quality problems in the country's poorly regulated manufacturing industry.”
And we’re not talking minor health risks: According to the report, “three of the toys contained heavy metals such as lead and chromium, which can be poisonous, while other products had sharp edges and ‘dangerous protuberances’… [and] Up to 20 percent of each product were found to have problems including excessive levels of formaldehyde and durability issues.”
Yikes-- we’d take an exploding watermelon any day over a toy filled with formaldehyde. But in all seriousness, when these unsafe products are exported to the U.S., American workers and their families suffer.
In 2008, more than 80 percent of the product recalls by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission involved Chinese products. It’s time we stand up to China’s unfair and predatory trade practices that cost us American jobs and that enable unsafe products like these to flood U.S. markets.
Related recent Blogs
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Japan's currency moves are heating up a trade problem • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013