New record monthly trade deficit with China: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement.
The latest monthly U.S. trade figures were released this morning by the Department of Commerce:
- The monthly U.S. international trade deficit in goods and services rose to $42.2 billion in October, up from $40.3 billion in September.
- The goods deficit with China continued its rapid ascent, rising to $29.5 billion in October, up from $29.1 billion in September. This is the largest single monthly goods deficit with China in U.S. history
Said Scott Paul, Executive Director of the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM):
“There’s no doubt that our nation is on a fiscally unsustainable path. But when we continue to pile up trade deficits, it makes the job of balancing the books even more difficult.
“No one in Washington seems to notice that we are on pace for another record-breaking year…and not in a good way.
“Our trade deficit with China shows no signs of abating. I think it’s well past time to shelve the idea of simply doubling exports. Instead, we need a national strategy to dramatically reduce our trade deficit.”
Related recent Blogs
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013
- Indiana manufacturing program expands • by TGarland • 12/05/2013
- Scott Paul: Keep skilled jobs for skilled workers in Washington • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- December 5, 2013: Another voice for a currency rule in the TPP • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- A bad time to sideline trade talks • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013
- Infrastructure investment means job creation • by TGarland • 12/04/2013
- December 4, 2013: Familiar trade deficit doldrums • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013
- China trade deficit on pace for new record, but will anyone notice? Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/04/2013
- What to do with abandoned factories? Bring in the artists! • by LDonia • 12/03/2013