New mobile classroom preps WI students for high-tech careers
While attending last week’s Manufacturing First Expo in Green Bay, WI, Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Field Coordinator Meghan McKeefry had the opportunity to check out Northeast Wisconsin Technical College's (NWTC) new Computer Integrated Mobile Lab.
This high-tech mobile classroom features 12 cutting-edge advanced manufacturing machines mounted on a 44-foot trailer and truck. Designed in partnership with local businesses, the lab showcases the types of modern facilities that today’s manufacturers are staffing with a new generation of skilled workers.
As Mark Weber, dean of the trades and engineering program at NWTC recently told CBS during a segment on the manufacturing skills gap, the lab "demonstrates to the next generation that today's shop floor is not all grease and noise.”
The lab will be touring high schools in Northeast Wisconsin, and some students will be able to use the mobile classroom to earn more than a better understanding of the modern factory floor: Technical education teachers in participating school districts can be certified to incorporate the lab into school curricula, and participating students can earn advanced college credits.
Related recent Blogs
- Faribault Woolen Mill Thriving in its Third Century of Business • by elizabethbb • 08/01/2014
- August 1, 2014: The Rare, Solid Manufacturing Jobs Report • by mmcmullan • 08/01/2014
- Manufacturing sector adds 28,000 jobs in July: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 08/01/2014
- New "Gigafactory" set to create thousands of jobs in the U.S. • by TGarland • 07/31/2014
- Congress Still Hasn't Made a Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by mmcmullan • 07/30/2014
- UCLA Flood: A Real Life of Example of What Happens When We Ignore Our Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 07/30/2014
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014