New Commerce Department report provides roadmap for strengthening U.S. competitiveness, touts importance of manufacturing
The U.S Department of Commerce (DOC) recently delivered a comprehensive report to Congress on “The Competitiveness and Innovative Capacity of the United States.” According to the DOC, the report “serves as a call to arms, highlighting bipartisan priorities to sustain and promote American innovation and economic competitiveness.”
The report examines several areas that are critically important to improving our competiveness including basic research, education, infrastructure, and most notably, manufacturing.
According to the report, the DOC recognizes "that a flourishing U.S. manufacturing sector is crucial to competitive strength, economic growth and job creation, as well as to sustaining a strong middle class."
The report also notes that manufacturing is the “biggest source of innovation in our economy” and that “Sixty-seven percent of all the business R&D in America is done by manufacturing companies.”
We couldn't agree more. Manufacturing and innovation go hand in hand, and without a strong manufacturing base, we stand to lose our competitive edge.
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013