New Brookings Institution report takes critical look at Congressman Cicilline's block grant proposals for manufacturing
ManufactureThis readers with great memories may recall the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) panel at Netroots this past June.
AAM included Congressman David Cicilline (D-RI) on the panel, which focused on Apple’s Chinese-made iPhones and iPads.
Congressman Cicilline introduced the audience to the House Democrats’ “Make it in America” initiative, a plan that includes Cicilline’s ‘Block Grant Act’:
Provides small and medium sized manufacturers with the resources they need to retool their operations and train their workforce in order to transition to the manufacturing of clean energy, high technology, and advanced products.
This week, the Brookings Institution released a report, written by governance studies fellow, John Hudak, which takes a critical look at Cicilline’s block grant proposal and offers recommendations to help the legislative progress.
Brookings cited AAM’s recent poll as part of the reason why plans like Cicilline’s are important:
Americans want to see action to help struggling manufacturers. A recent survey by the American Alliance for Manufacturing showed that 53percent of those polled rated manufacturing as the most important sector of the economy and noted that a large majority of Americans want assistance provided. The Block Grant Program offers a critical, cost-effective, common sense solution to this serious economic problem. Economic recovery in the United States depends on a thriving, healthy manufacturing sector and resources must be targeted achieve that goal.
AAM file photo of Congressman Cicilline on Netroots panel.
Related recent Blogs
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013