A national pet retailer just took a stand against China's unsafe pet treats
Your pals at the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) have been reporting on unsafe products from China since a 2007 report entitled "Buyer’s Remorse: How America Has Failed to See the Threat Posed by Dangerous Chinese Goods and the Case for Safe Trade."
That year, the deaths of 360 dogs were linked to contaminated treats from China. And the FDA has received 4,800 reports of pet illness and more than 1,000 reports of dog deaths possibly related to jerky treats made in China since that time.
And little had changed until now.
Petco has announced that the company will stop selling all dog and cat treats made in China by the end of this year. This decision will affect all 1,300 Petco stores, as well as its online sales.
We know some pet parents are wary of dog and cat treats made in China, especially Chicken Jerky products, and we’ve heard their concerns. As a leader in the industry and the trusted partner for our pet parents, we’re eager to make this transition and to expand our assortment of safe and healthy treats, the majority of which are made right here in the U.S. Very simply, we feel this decision is in the best interest of the pets we all love and, ultimately, for our business.
So next time you’re looking for treats to reward your four-legged friend, buy American (Petco just made it even easier!).
Pictured: AAM mascot Maddie
Related recent Blogs
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- We’re Live From Netroots Nation! • by elizabethbb • 07/17/2014
- So Much For Promises: China's Manipulating Its Currency, Again • by mmcmullan • 07/17/2014
- The OCTG Trade Case Heads to the International Trade Commission • by TGarland • 07/16/2014
- Postcard from Iowa: AAM Field Coordinators Hop The Fence, Hang With Democrats • by mmcmullan • 07/16/2014
- Yellen: Infrastructure Funding Would "Counter" Economic Headwinds • by elizabethbb • 07/15/2014
- Let’s Build a Bridge and Fix the Highway Trust Fund • by elizabethbb • 07/15/2014
- Hey Joe, Remember Infrastructure at Netroots • by elizabethbb • 07/14/2014
- What's next in the OCTG trade case? • by mmcmullan • 07/14/2014