National Governors Association offers report to help improve U.S. manufacturing
A new report by the National Governors Association (NGA) sees advanced manufacturing as the key to future U.S. manufacturing competitiveness.
The report suggests that robotics, nanotechnologies, and advanced materials offer key opportunities to grow manufacturing.
The NGA study, “Making” Our Future: What States Are Doing to Encourage Growth in Manufacturing through Innovation, Entrepreneurship, and Investment, chronicles the progress of eight states in preparing new strategies intended to build a foundation for success in advanced manufacturing. Those states—California, Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Kansas, Massachusetts, New York, and Pennsylvania— together represent 30 percent of total manufacturing gross domestic product, one-third of U.S. manufacturing jobs and more than 25 percent of U.S. exports of manufactured goods.
The findings represent a helpful step toward a revitalized U.S. manufacturing base for the 21st Century, something the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) has advocated in a 'Plan to Save Manufacturing.'
In addition to a focus on wider vocational training, AAM's plan also identified a number of trade policy measures intended to boost manufacturing competitiveness.
Related recent Blogs
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014
- No Electricity Needed for Corter Leather & Cloth • by elizabethbb • 08/15/2014
- Improving Our Railways: A Key Part of Rebuilding America • by elizabethbb • 08/14/2014