National Governors Association offers report to help improve U.S. manufacturing
A new report by the National Governors Association (NGA) sees advanced manufacturing as the key to future U.S. manufacturing competitiveness.
The report suggests that robotics, nanotechnologies, and advanced materials offer key opportunities to grow manufacturing.
The NGA study, “Making” Our Future: What States Are Doing to Encourage Growth in Manufacturing through Innovation, Entrepreneurship, and Investment, chronicles the progress of eight states in preparing new strategies intended to build a foundation for success in advanced manufacturing. Those states—California, Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Kansas, Massachusetts, New York, and Pennsylvania— together represent 30 percent of total manufacturing gross domestic product, one-third of U.S. manufacturing jobs and more than 25 percent of U.S. exports of manufactured goods.
The findings represent a helpful step toward a revitalized U.S. manufacturing base for the 21st Century, something the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) has advocated in a 'Plan to Save Manufacturing.'
In addition to a focus on wider vocational training, AAM's plan also identified a number of trade policy measures intended to boost manufacturing competitiveness.
Related recent Blogs
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- So Excellent, So Bodacious: Check Out Some American-made Smartphone Style • by mmcmullan • 07/18/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014