Nanette Lepore's Spring 2014 American-made couture
New York Fashion Week ended yesterday and if you’re a regular reader of ManufactureThis, you can probably guess where this is going …
Did you guess “Nanette Lepore?” That’s correct!
So it only goes to figure that today’s Fashion Friday is devoted to her Spring 2014 show.
Now, full disclosure: We’re not fashion writers here, so ours may not be a Vogue-worthy review. but we’re willing to give it a shot!
So lets dive right in, shall we? In the days leading up to the show, Lepore spoke on tumblr of her inspirations, citing quotes from John Keats and Charles Baudelaire. Included among her inspirations is Baudelaire’s volume, “Les Fleurs du mal,” which directly translates to “The Flowers of Evil.”
One of the key thematic elements of that work? Decadence.
Fittingly, Ms. Lepore’s spring designs were floral, and at least mildly decadent: Her pieces seemed appropriate for work ... and then after-work drinks on the deck of a yacht.
Put concisely, you might label her pieces “functional feminine” (or vice versa). Lepore constructed feminine silhouettes using flowy, comfortable-looking fabrics. And adding to the functionality –- plenty of flats! A number of the looks included flat (strappy) sandals.
Of course, the downside to all the sandals, bare shoulders, and short skirts, is that it leaves us all wanting to dress for warm spring days, and sort of resent the fall weather that’s approaching. But spring 2014 is only a few months away.
Thanks to our friends at Elevated Locals for the aerial shot of the show!
Related recent Blogs
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- So Excellent, So Bodacious: Check Out Some American-made Smartphone Style • by mmcmullan • 07/18/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- Postcard from Iowa: AAM Field Coordinators Hop The Fence, Hang With Democrats • by mmcmullan • 07/16/2014
- Yellen: Infrastructure Funding Would "Counter" Economic Headwinds • by elizabethbb • 07/15/2014
- Let’s Build a Bridge and Fix the Highway Trust Fund • by elizabethbb • 07/15/2014
- AAM Statement: Commerce Department Decision on South Korean OCTG Dumping. • by scapozzola • 07/11/2014