Minnesotans want President Obama to Focus on Dumped Steel Imports on his Visit
President Obama is set to deliver an economic speech on Friday in Minnesota that is expected to highlight the state’s recent minimum wage increase, signed into law by Gov. Mark Dayton in April.
But state legislators and community members want the president to focus on another issue directly impacting their livelihoods: saving Minnesota jobs in the iron mining and steel industry.
The Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) visited the Land of 10,000 Lakes on Monday to rally for iron mining and steel jobs. Almost 2,000 Iron Range residents gathered to call on the Commerce Department to take action on dumped steel imports.
Minn. Senate Majority Leader Tom Bakk urged the president to look forward on his trip:
President Obama is coming to Minnesota on Thursday, coming to Minnesota to talk about the fact we should raise the minimum wage. President Obama the Minnesota legislature has already done that. Let’s not look back, let’s look forward. President Obama when you get back to Washington, DC sit down with the Department of Commerce and put tariffs on South Korean steel.
The Commerce Department is expected to announce its final determination by July 10. Thousands of steelworker jobs in Minnesota and across the country are at risk. Tell President Obama and your elected officials in Washington to stand with American steelworkers.
Related recent Blogs
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014
- Improving Our Railways: A Key Part of Rebuilding America • by elizabethbb • 08/14/2014
- Five Tests Walmart Must Pass to Show its 'Made In America' Street Cred • by spaul • 08/13/2014