The Michigan unemployment rate is falling, but does that actually mean more jobs?
We've previously reported on really rough economic times in Michigan, with one in eight state resident's receiving food stamps. Michigan's manufacturing base has hit very hard over the past decade, shedding more than 300,000 jobs between 2000-2008.
Because of this, Michigan has seen its unemployment rate skyrocket to as high as 14.9% at the start of 2010.
Strangely, though, Michigan is now leading the nation in "fastest falling unemployment rate." How might this happen?
The answer is discouraging. It turns out that, because the job market is so bad in Michigan, residents are now leaving the state in droves, and are hoping to find work elsewhere. So, because they are no longer Michigan residents, they are no longer listed as "unemployed."
There is no simple answer to rectify the problem. What's needed is long-term planning to rebuild American infrastructure and revitalize our manufacturing base. It's going to take time to help Michigan and the rest of the nation.
Related recent Blogs
- Faribault Woolen Mill Thriving in its Third Century of Business • by elizabethbb • 08/01/2014
- August 1, 2014: The Rare, Solid Manufacturing Jobs Report • by mmcmullan • 08/01/2014
- Manufacturing sector adds 28,000 jobs in July: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 08/01/2014
- New "Gigafactory" set to create thousands of jobs in the U.S. • by TGarland • 07/31/2014
- Congress Still Hasn't Made a Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by mmcmullan • 07/30/2014
- UCLA Flood: A Real Life of Example of What Happens When We Ignore Our Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 07/30/2014
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014