Maybe Mitt Means Match-time on Manipulation
Today's Politico Morning Money offers some interesting insights into the Mitt Romney campaign. In recent weeks, ManufactureThis has found Romney's tough rhetoric on China encouraging. Specifically, the former Massachusetts governor has vowed to crack down on China's currency manipulation, as well as intellectual property theft and computer hacking.
Politico's Ben White says that this "tough stance on China" is not simply "campaign rhetoric."
White quotes a Romney aide who says that the campaign talk is for real:
“People should wait and see what he does after the Inauguration,” one senior advisor said in response to the contention that the China stance is all talk. “You have to look at how much we buy from China and how much they buy from us. Those numbers are a very serious deterrent to Chinese pursing retribution against us. And from a strategic standpoint, if we are always unwilling to act because we think the Chinese might be willing to act, then we are always going to be stuck at this same point.”
White also says the campaign aide believes that designating China a currency manipulator is "less important than moves a President Romney would make to crack down on Chinese intellectual property theft and other protectionist measures such as import quotas."
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Japan's currency moves are heating up a trade problem • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- May 15, 2013 Headlines: U.S. manufacturing slows, while manufacturers discuss domestic production, and more... • by LDonia • 05/15/2013