Maybe Mitt Means Match-time on Manipulation
Today's Politico Morning Money offers some interesting insights into the Mitt Romney campaign. In recent weeks, ManufactureThis has found Romney's tough rhetoric on China encouraging. Specifically, the former Massachusetts governor has vowed to crack down on China's currency manipulation, as well as intellectual property theft and computer hacking.
Politico's Ben White says that this "tough stance on China" is not simply "campaign rhetoric."
White quotes a Romney aide who says that the campaign talk is for real:
“People should wait and see what he does after the Inauguration,” one senior advisor said in response to the contention that the China stance is all talk. “You have to look at how much we buy from China and how much they buy from us. Those numbers are a very serious deterrent to Chinese pursing retribution against us. And from a strategic standpoint, if we are always unwilling to act because we think the Chinese might be willing to act, then we are always going to be stuck at this same point.”
White also says the campaign aide believes that designating China a currency manipulator is "less important than moves a President Romney would make to crack down on Chinese intellectual property theft and other protectionist measures such as import quotas."
Related recent Blogs
- More Exports Are Nice, but Let’s Not Forget about Surging Imports • by elizabethbb • 09/02/2014
- Budweiser Made in America Festival Lives Up to Its Name • by TGarland • 09/02/2014
- Labor Day Travel a Reminder Why We Need Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 08/29/2014
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014