Maybe Mitt Means Match-time on Manipulation
Today's Politico Morning Money offers some interesting insights into the Mitt Romney campaign. In recent weeks, ManufactureThis has found Romney's tough rhetoric on China encouraging. Specifically, the former Massachusetts governor has vowed to crack down on China's currency manipulation, as well as intellectual property theft and computer hacking.
Politico's Ben White says that this "tough stance on China" is not simply "campaign rhetoric."
White quotes a Romney aide who says that the campaign talk is for real:
“People should wait and see what he does after the Inauguration,” one senior advisor said in response to the contention that the China stance is all talk. “You have to look at how much we buy from China and how much they buy from us. Those numbers are a very serious deterrent to Chinese pursing retribution against us. And from a strategic standpoint, if we are always unwilling to act because we think the Chinese might be willing to act, then we are always going to be stuck at this same point.”
White also says the campaign aide believes that designating China a currency manipulator is "less important than moves a President Romney would make to crack down on Chinese intellectual property theft and other protectionist measures such as import quotas."
Related recent Blogs
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014
- Improving Our Railways: A Key Part of Rebuilding America • by elizabethbb • 08/14/2014
- Five Tests Walmart Must Pass to Show its 'Made In America' Street Cred • by spaul • 08/13/2014
- More Evidence the "Jobs Recovery" Isn’t All It’s Cracked Up to Be • by elizabethbb • 08/12/2014
- More Work to Do, Indeed • by elizabethbb • 08/11/2014
- WTO Upholds Ruling Finding China Guilty in Rare Earths Export Restraints Case: Alliance for American Manufacturing statement. • by scapozzola • 08/07/2014
- No, Technology Isn’t an Automatic Job Killer • by elizabethbb • 08/07/2014