Maybe Mitt Means Match-time on Manipulation
Today's Politico Morning Money offers some interesting insights into the Mitt Romney campaign. In recent weeks, ManufactureThis has found Romney's tough rhetoric on China encouraging. Specifically, the former Massachusetts governor has vowed to crack down on China's currency manipulation, as well as intellectual property theft and computer hacking.
Politico's Ben White says that this "tough stance on China" is not simply "campaign rhetoric."
White quotes a Romney aide who says that the campaign talk is for real:
“People should wait and see what he does after the Inauguration,” one senior advisor said in response to the contention that the China stance is all talk. “You have to look at how much we buy from China and how much they buy from us. Those numbers are a very serious deterrent to Chinese pursing retribution against us. And from a strategic standpoint, if we are always unwilling to act because we think the Chinese might be willing to act, then we are always going to be stuck at this same point.”
White also says the campaign aide believes that designating China a currency manipulator is "less important than moves a President Romney would make to crack down on Chinese intellectual property theft and other protectionist measures such as import quotas."
Related recent Blogs
- A Boy Scout badge in advanced manufacturing? • by TGarland • 03/10/2014
- Donald Trump addresses CPAC crowds on key AAM issues • by LRaup • 03/07/2014
- It wasn't all weather: What's behind the weak manufacturing jobs report. • by admin • 03/07/2014
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- The U.S. needs a stronger domestic supply chain in the event of an attack • by TGarland • 03/04/2014
- Campaigns and political parties take note: We've got the key to attracting voters • by LDonia • 03/03/2014
- And the award goes to ... American workers • by TGarland • 03/03/2014