May 23, 2014: Another #SOSJobs Rally; China's Military is Hacking AAM Stakeholders; and, Efforts to Weaken Buy America Laws.
Good morning, and welcome to the Early Shift.
The Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) has been rallying. On Monday, we joined Steelworkers in Munhall, Pennsylvania, to spotlight another community whose economy will be at risk if Washington doesn’t stand up for America's steel producers. You can watch the archived event right here.
And what else happened this week?
The U.S. Department of Justice filed charges against five members of China's military for cyber espionage against U.S. businesses. It’s been over a year since a bombshell report detailed the involvement of the People’s Liberation Army in such cybercrime schemes against American targets, so we’ll say it again: Maybe it’s time we stopped granting the Chinese government such favorable trade terms. And take note: three of the six organizations that were hacked happen to be AAM stakeholders-- U.S. Steel, Allegheny Technologies, and the United Steelworkers. You can read AAM president Scott Paul's comment on the case here.
A Russian oligarch is trying to loosen Buy America laws so his company can make money off of public infrastructure projects in the United States. Said AAM President Scott Paul: “Why would you want to, through the legislative process — whether intended or unintended — do something for a Russian oligarch at a time like this? It just doesn’t make sense.”
And, ICYMI, out in Oregon: The city of Portland has decided to divest itself from America’s largest retailer, Walmart. The import king must not represent the kind of economy that residents of the City of Roses – and most Americans, for that matter – want to see flourish.
For this Memorial Day Weekend, we remember the brave men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces.
Related recent Blogs
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- So Excellent, So Bodacious: Check Out Some American-made Smartphone Style • by mmcmullan • 07/18/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- Postcard from Iowa: AAM Field Coordinators Hop The Fence, Hang With Democrats • by mmcmullan • 07/16/2014
- Yellen: Infrastructure Funding Would "Counter" Economic Headwinds • by elizabethbb • 07/15/2014
- Let’s Build a Bridge and Fix the Highway Trust Fund • by elizabethbb • 07/15/2014
- July 14, 2014: Commerce gets its OCTG ruling RIGHT! • by mmcmullan • 07/14/2014
- AAM Statement: Commerce Department Decision on South Korean OCTG Dumping. • by scapozzola • 07/11/2014
- Cleveland Rocks — And So Does This Clothing Manufacturer • by elizabethbb • 07/11/2014