March 31, 2014: Staring down a busy week
And welcome to the Early Shift. We’re staring down a busy week: The Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) will be traveling to the University of Akron for a regional meeting of the Obama administration's AMP 2.0 project. We'll also be watching for the monthly trade figures on Thursday, and taking a look at the unemployment rate when it’s updated on Friday. Last month’s numbers showed that manufacturing job creation has essentially stalled, and that a comprehensive job creation strategy is becoming more and more necessary. Unfortunately, we haven’t seen any such strategy in the past few weeks. What will this month’s data look like?
But here’s what we’re reading in the meantime:
The debate over American-made footwear for our troops goes on. The International Business Times reports that the Berry Amendment exemption allowing Department of Defense dollars to go to athletic shoes made overseas continues to catch heat. Meanwhile, the number of Berry-compliant shoe options is growing.
Crazy factoid of the weekend: "About $1.2 billion of the $1.7 billion worth of imitations picked up by U.S. law enforcement agencies originated in mainland China." 24/7 Wall St. has a rundown of the nine most counterfeited products in the American marketplace.
And ICYMI, Paul Krugman says the Economic Policy Institute’s report on the skills gap myth has killed this iteration of undead economics once again:
The Skills Zombie http://t.co/3a6h3rZc4v— Paul Krugman (@NYTimeskrugman) March 29, 2014
And that’s it. That’s it and that’s all, America. We’ll circle back around with you on Friday.
Related recent Blogs
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- So Excellent, So Bodacious: Check Out Some American-made Smartphone Style • by mmcmullan • 07/18/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- Postcard from Iowa: AAM Field Coordinators Hop The Fence, Hang With Democrats • by mmcmullan • 07/16/2014
- Yellen: Infrastructure Funding Would "Counter" Economic Headwinds • by elizabethbb • 07/15/2014
- Let’s Build a Bridge and Fix the Highway Trust Fund • by elizabethbb • 07/15/2014
- July 14, 2014: Commerce gets its OCTG ruling RIGHT! • by mmcmullan • 07/14/2014