March 28, 2014: Dayton marches on
And welcome to the Early Shift. It’s been a busy week, and we’ve got a lot of stuff to throw at you.
Like, for instance, the news of a World Trade Organization (WTO) ruling that found China has indeed been unfairly limiting exports of rare earth elements. That’s a big deal. More than 90 percent of the global production of these minerals comes from China, and they go into everything from smartphones to high-end military hardware. In response, Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) President Scott Paul focused on the latter:
These restrictions have also raised important national security concerns about a reliance on foreign suppliers for our military supply chain.
We’re pleased the Obama administration raised this issue at the WTO. The decision is an important one that not only encourages a free and fair market, but – with the help of expanded domestic production of these materials – could help to shore up America’s economic and security interests too.
Now, if only the same could be said about the federal government’s conclusions on the anti-competitive “dumping” being done by South Korean steelmakers who are flooding the U.S. market and swamping American jobs.
ICYMI: The Economic Policy Institute has issued a new report that further filets the myth of a skills gap.
And lastly: Dayton helped bust our bracket a little more last night. But we’re big fans anyway. Well done, boys:
DAYTON BEATS STANFORD, MAKES ELITE EIGHT! pic.twitter.com/HMD1YL7ffn— WHIOTV (@whiotv) March 28, 2014
And that’s it. That’s it and that’s all, America. We’ll see you on Monday.
Related recent Blogs
- August 11, 2014: Chinese Textile Manufacturing ... in the Carolinas • by mmcmullan • 08/11/2014
- August 8, 2014: Maury is a close second to trade data in our book • by mmcmullan • 08/08/2014
- #AAMeter Attracts National Attention • by elizabethbb • 08/04/2014
- August 1, 2014: The Rare, Solid Manufacturing Jobs Report • by mmcmullan • 08/01/2014
- Will This Be the Week for the Highway Trust Fund? • by elizabethbb • 07/28/2014
- July 25, 2014: What We're Watching • by mmcmullan • 07/25/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- July 14, 2014: Commerce gets its OCTG ruling RIGHT! • by mmcmullan • 07/14/2014
- July 7, 2014: The final #SOSJobs countdown • by mmcmullan • 07/07/2014
- As American as Apple Pie — But Made Overseas • by TGarland • 07/02/2014