March 24, 2014: Our bracket has been wrecked
And welcome to the Early Shift. The Alliance for American Manufacturing’s (AAM) bracket, determined by job creation potential, is in shambles. But boy, were those college hoops games good this weekend. We’ll get over it. And c’est la vie, Wichita State!
But what else is happening out there?
President Obama met with his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping, on the sidelines of a nuclear summit in Europe today. Lots of stuff on the agenda. Will the value of China’s currency be an item? The president’s trade representative said today the administration will “continue” to push for a market-oriented yuan, but it certainly hasn’t pushed very much so far.
ICYMI: The New York Times has an illuminating story on the state of gas utility infrastructure, in the Big Apple and elsewhere around the country:
Communities across the country have been struggling to replace thousands of miles of these old, metal pipes with pipes made of plastic or specially coated steel that are less prone to leakage. Few, however, face as daunting a challenge as New York City.
To replace all of the old mains in its network right now would cost as much as $10 billion, Con Edison estimates. Much of that expense would fall on the residents and businesses that use the gas for heating and cooking.
That sounds like a lot, but remember that Americans value infrastructure investment. That, and other factoids can be found in AAM’s latest poll. Here’s another good one:
By a 2-1 margin, voters favor a focus on job creation over deficit reduction. http://t.co/ULuB1cMZ8W— AAM (@KeepitMadeinUSA) March 24, 2014
And that’s it. That’s it, and that’s all, everyone. Have a good Monday! We’ll be here all week.
Related recent Blogs
- July 25, 2014: What We're Watching • by mmcmullan • 07/25/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- We’re Live From Netroots Nation! • by elizabethbb • 07/17/2014
- So Much For Promises: China's Manipulating Its Currency, Again • by mmcmullan • 07/17/2014
- Yellen: Infrastructure Funding Would "Counter" Economic Headwinds • by elizabethbb • 07/15/2014