Manufacturing sector gains 12,000 jobs in April: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement.
This morning, the Department of Labor reported that America's manufacturing sector gained 12,000 jobs in April. The #AAMeter-- which tracks President Obama's promise to create 1 million new manufacturing jobs in his second term -- now stands at +135,000 jobs.
Said Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) President Scott Paul:
"This was a surprisingly weak manufacturing jobs number for April. In an economy that added 288,000 jobs, manufacturing saw only 12,000 of those. The weather-related spring surge just didn’t happen for the manufacturing sector.
"It’s past time to address some of the challenges facing job creation. We need new investments in infrastructure and a plan to lower the trade deficit in manufactured goods. Without smart policy, a real resurgence in American manufacturing isn’t likely to happen anytime soon."
How can President Obama create millions of U.S. jobs -- 5.8 million to be exact -- with the stroke of a pen? Name China as a currency manipulator. Read more.
President Obama set a goal of creating 1 million new manufacturing jobs in his second term. To follow the president's progress, the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) maintains a manufacturing jobs tracker, the #AAMeter, based on monthly jobs data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
Related recent Blogs
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- So Excellent, So Bodacious: Check Out Some American-made Smartphone Style • by mmcmullan • 07/18/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- We’re Live From Netroots Nation! • by elizabethbb • 07/17/2014
- So Much For Promises: China's Manipulating Its Currency, Again • by mmcmullan • 07/17/2014
- The OCTG Trade Case Heads to the International Trade Commission • by TGarland • 07/16/2014
- Postcard from Iowa: AAM Field Coordinators Hop The Fence, Hang With Democrats • by mmcmullan • 07/16/2014
- Yellen: Infrastructure Funding Would "Counter" Economic Headwinds • by elizabethbb • 07/15/2014