Manufacturing sector gains 12,000 jobs in April: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement.
This morning, the Department of Labor reported that America's manufacturing sector gained 12,000 jobs in April. The #AAMeter-- which tracks President Obama's promise to create 1 million new manufacturing jobs in his second term -- now stands at +135,000 jobs.
Said Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) President Scott Paul:
"This was a surprisingly weak manufacturing jobs number for April. In an economy that added 288,000 jobs, manufacturing saw only 12,000 of those. The weather-related spring surge just didn’t happen for the manufacturing sector.
"It’s past time to address some of the challenges facing job creation. We need new investments in infrastructure and a plan to lower the trade deficit in manufactured goods. Without smart policy, a real resurgence in American manufacturing isn’t likely to happen anytime soon."
How can President Obama create millions of U.S. jobs -- 5.8 million to be exact -- with the stroke of a pen? Name China as a currency manipulator. Read more.
President Obama set a goal of creating 1 million new manufacturing jobs in his second term. To follow the president's progress, the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) maintains a manufacturing jobs tracker, the #AAMeter, based on monthly jobs data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
Related recent Blogs
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014
- No Electricity Needed for Corter Leather & Cloth • by elizabethbb • 08/15/2014
- Improving Our Railways: A Key Part of Rebuilding America • by elizabethbb • 08/14/2014