Manufacturing sector gains 12,000 jobs in April: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement.
This morning, the Department of Labor reported that America's manufacturing sector gained 12,000 jobs in April. The #AAMeter-- which tracks President Obama's promise to create 1 million new manufacturing jobs in his second term -- now stands at +135,000 jobs.
Said Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) President Scott Paul:
"This was a surprisingly weak manufacturing jobs number for April. In an economy that added 288,000 jobs, manufacturing saw only 12,000 of those. The weather-related spring surge just didn’t happen for the manufacturing sector.
"It’s past time to address some of the challenges facing job creation. We need new investments in infrastructure and a plan to lower the trade deficit in manufactured goods. Without smart policy, a real resurgence in American manufacturing isn’t likely to happen anytime soon."
How can President Obama create millions of U.S. jobs -- 5.8 million to be exact -- with the stroke of a pen? Name China as a currency manipulator. Read more.
President Obama set a goal of creating 1 million new manufacturing jobs in his second term. To follow the president's progress, the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) maintains a manufacturing jobs tracker, the #AAMeter, based on monthly jobs data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
Related recent Blogs
- IMTS 2014: The View From AAM's Booth • by mmcmullan • 09/12/2014
- Sneak Peek: Titan-American Built Star Titan Gilroy Chats with Scott Paul about the Made-in-China Bay Bridge • by elizabethbb • 09/10/2014
- Public and Private Sectors Come Together to Promote Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 09/09/2014
- Berry Could Be a Big Win for American Shoemakers • by mmcmullan • 09/08/2014
- Visit AAM This Week at the International Manufacturing Technology Show • by TGarland • 09/07/2014
- Manufacturing sector gains zero jobs in August: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 09/05/2014
- China trade deficit hits new record in July: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 09/04/2014
- Green Bay v. Seattle: Both Cities Victors in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 09/04/2014
- Joe Biden Praises Apprenticeships at NH Shipyard • by mmcmullan • 09/03/2014
- We’re Celebrating Factory Man — and You Could Win a Copy! • by elizabethbb • 09/03/2014