Manufacturing sector gains 10,000 jobs in May: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement.
This morning, the Department of Labor reported that America's manufacturing sector gained 10,000 jobs in May.
Due to downward revisions of previous months' data, the #AAMeter -- which tracks President Obama's promise to create 1 million new manufacturing jobs in his second term -- actually declined by 1,000 jobs, and now stands at +134,000 jobs.
Said Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) President Scott Paul:
"Though the economy has finally recovered the number of jobs lost during the recession, the manufacturing sector hasn't made it even one-third of the way back. Manufacturing added only 10,000 jobs in May, far below the pace needed to show a true recovery.
"A look at our trade picture's weak exports and surging imports gives us one clue as to why manufacturing is lagging. The administration and Congress should help level the playing field for our manufacturers and workers by stopping currency manipulation, enforcing our trade laws, and making smart investments in infrastructure."
President Obama set a goal of creating 1 million new manufacturing jobs in his second term. To follow the president's progress, the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) maintains a manufacturing jobs tracker, the #AAMeter, based on monthly jobs data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
Related recent Blogs
- Labor Day Travel a Reminder Why We Need Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 08/29/2014
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014