Manufacturing sector adds 21,000 jobs in January: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement.
U.S. manufacturing gains 21,000 jobs in January 2014.
#AAMeter Now Stands at +110,000 Jobs.
Commented Scott Paul, President of the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM):
“It’s still far from a resurgence, but the jobs picture in manufacturing is certainly better than it was last decade. And the latest jobs report offers fresh evidence that it is possible to create manufacturing jobs in America again.
"We believe better public policies would bring about a real resurgence: That would mean balancing our trade in goods, investing in infrastructure and training, combatting currency manipulation overseas, and boosting innovation. And even though manufacturing may be one of the brighter spots in this jobs report, we’re still well below the pace needed to achieve the president’s goal of adding one million such jobs in his second term.”
Some data from the latest jobs report:
- Manufacturing jobs account for 18.6% of employment growth in January, which means the U.S. manufacturing sector is punching well above its diminished weight.
- There were revisions to the jobs numbers of the past two months. The November manufacturing jobs report was revised upward to 35,000 gained. The December manufacturing jobs number was corrected downward slightly, to 8,000 gained.
- Manufacturing job gains in January were: autos/parts (4,700), machinery (7,000), wood products (4,600). In contrast, jobs declined in computers & electronics (2,300).
President Obama set a goal of creating 1 million new manufacturing jobs in his second term. To follow the president's progress, the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) maintains a manufacturing jobs tracker, the #AAMeter, based on monthly jobs data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
A new national poll finds voters overwhelmingly favor a jobs plan and a stronger manufacturing base as keys to an economic resurgence.
Related recent Blogs
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014
- Improving Our Railways: A Key Part of Rebuilding America • by elizabethbb • 08/14/2014