Manufacturing: A more viable career choice than some would suggest
As Scott Paul, executive director of the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM), recently explained to CNN Money, the only recent positive pop culture depiction of manufacturing he has seen is in the movie Iron Man. "Pop culture has a big impact on young people," he said.
Despite a lack of positive stereotypes of manufacturing in TV and movies, most Americans see manufacturing jobs as a viable choice, and of the minority who don’t, about half can be persuaded with the right message, according to a recent AAM poll.
The “image” of manufacturing is not a problem, though half of Americans who don’t see manufacturing as a career option for someone in their family say it’s because they want to see their child get a 4-year college degree.
To learn more about America's views on manufacturing, click here to see the results of AAM's recent polling on "Manufacturing as a career."
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013