Manufacturing continues to drive Ohio economy.
In the Dayton Daily News, reporter Steve Bennish says that manufacturing continues to propel the Ohio economy, and factory jobs consistently pay good salaries. Bennish says that full-time manufacturing jobs in a 14-county area pay from $44,062 to $84,920 a year, including benefits, with the 2013 average being $70,365.
The high concentration of manufacturing operations in Ohio is helping to draw newer businesses as well.
Bennish says that Ohio has worked hard to weather the effects of the recent recession:
While total manufacturing jobs are down from 110,084 in 2008 to 84,518 in 2013, aerospace parts manufacturing has grown in that period from 3,940 to 5,440, and research and development has posted a smaller gain from 10,976 to 11,696. Auto parts jobs remain down from 18,295 to 15,620.
More needs to be done in order to ramp up Ohio manufacturing, however. Bennish quotes Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) President Scott Paul:
“There are still a lot of things not getting done,” Alliance President Scott Paul said. “One is to change the economic policy system to support manufacturing, running the gamut from tax policy to workforce training.
“The economy is churning out jobs, but generally speaking, they are low-wage jobs in the service sector” Paul said. “If you focus it on manufacturing, the value-added and service jobs will come.”
Related recent Blogs
- Clean energy manufacturing gets help from DOE • by TGarland • 12/12/2013
- John Porcari, DOT Buy America champion, is stepping down • by mmcmullan • 12/12/2013
- December 12, 2013: Uh, an economic boom? • by mmcmullan • 12/12/2013
- #ShopAmerica: Health and Beauty gift ideas • by LDonia • 12/11/2013
- Now there's an idea: Using trade policy as leverage with China • by mmcmullan • 12/11/2013
- 5 Keys to American-Made Holiday Shopping • by TGarland • 12/11/2013
- December 11, 2013: US Trade Rep has not discussed this "currency manipulation" everyone keeps talking about • by mmcmullan • 12/11/2013
- The Big Three set the stage for a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/10/2013
- December 10, 2013: Welcome back, GM • by mmcmullan • 12/10/2013
- Pharmaceutical companies' interests are covered in the TPP -- as for everyone else? Ehh ... • by mmcmullan • 12/09/2013