Manufacture New York aims to save NYC's Garment District.
Bob Bland, owner of the brand Brooklyn Royalty, and a professional designer with previous experience at Ralph Lauren and Marc Jacobs, is trying to save New York City's Garment District.
Bland has a plan: "There are factories sitting empty, and the Garment District is being rezoned as a residential space. There are excellent, hard-working production managers and sewing staff who are now working out of their homes, have had to change industries, or are simply unemployed. And there are a generation of talented fashion entrepreneurs who have built loyal followings around their brands but have woefully limited options when it comes to making their product available."
Bland and a group of over 60 designers, including a recent winner of Project Runway, have formed Manufacture New York (MNY) to try somethng new. MNY wants to create a centrally located facility in Industry City, Brooklyn. The space would include manufacturing facilities, a fully-equipped sampling room, a classroom space (open to the public), private studios for rent, and a state-of-the art computer lab equipped with the industry’s best software for design and production. It will also feature an area for experimentation, with eco-friendly fabric washes, dyeing, textile applications, and finishes.
"The impact of Manufacture New York will be huge," Bland says. "Finally, consumers will have greater options for locally made attire. Independent local fashion designers will have the resources and space available to make their visions a reality. High demand fashion concepts such as sustainable materials, and eco-friendly products will be produced easier and faster than ever before. And we will lead by example, inspiring big corporate brands to move some production back to the US."
The Manufacture New York fundraising campaign runs until March 31st. Read more.
Related recent Blogs
- May 23, 2013 Headlines: Gains in the job market, small businesses manufacturing in the U.S.A., and more. • by LRaup • 05/23/2013
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013