Made in America: New York City Fashion
What could make the New York City fashion industry more fashionable? Establishing a renewed interest in garment manufacturing!
The Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA), in partnership with the New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC), will launch the Fashion Manufacturing Initiative this month. The objective: raise funds for existing NYC factories to acquire innovative equipment and advanced technology and implement top-quality worker training.
The initiative includes all five boroughs, but will have a large and important effect of Manhattan’s Garment District. NYCEDC Presidnet Kyle Kimball accentuated the importance of manufacturing as part of the fashion industry in New York City:
It’s really born out of making sure that the fashion industry in New York City is able to modernize and stay with and ahead of global trends in design, manufacturing and production. This particular fund is focused on the second prong, manufacturing. We think there has been a real lack of investment in manufacturing infrastructure, and wanted a fund in place to introduce new and modern investment into manufacturing here.
We’re happy to see the focus center around manufacturing as part of the designing process. Many designers including Nanette Lepore and Prabal Gurung agree that, without a doubt, manufacturing has to come back to the U.S.
The Fashion Manufacturing Initiative will undoubtedly bring more made in the USA to New York Fashion Week.
Related recent Blogs
- New "Gigafactory" set to create thousands of jobs in the U.S. • by TGarland • 07/31/2014
- Congress Still Hasn't Made a Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by mmcmullan • 07/30/2014
- UCLA Flood: A Real Life of Example of What Happens When We Ignore Our Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 07/30/2014
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014