Made in America: New York City Fashion
What could make the New York City fashion industry more fashionable? Establishing a renewed interest in garment manufacturing!
The Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA), in partnership with the New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC), will launch the Fashion Manufacturing Initiative this month. The objective: raise funds for existing NYC factories to acquire innovative equipment and advanced technology and implement top-quality worker training.
The initiative includes all five boroughs, but will have a large and important effect of Manhattan’s Garment District. NYCEDC Presidnet Kyle Kimball accentuated the importance of manufacturing as part of the fashion industry in New York City:
It’s really born out of making sure that the fashion industry in New York City is able to modernize and stay with and ahead of global trends in design, manufacturing and production. This particular fund is focused on the second prong, manufacturing. We think there has been a real lack of investment in manufacturing infrastructure, and wanted a fund in place to introduce new and modern investment into manufacturing here.
We’re happy to see the focus center around manufacturing as part of the designing process. Many designers including Nanette Lepore and Prabal Gurung agree that, without a doubt, manufacturing has to come back to the U.S.
The Fashion Manufacturing Initiative will undoubtedly bring more made in the USA to New York Fashion Week.
Related recent Blogs
- More Exports Are Nice, but Let’s Not Forget about Surging Imports • by elizabethbb • 09/02/2014
- Budweiser Made in America Festival Lives Up to Its Name • by TGarland • 09/02/2014
- Labor Day Travel a Reminder Why We Need Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 08/29/2014
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014