Made in America: New York City Fashion
What could make the New York City fashion industry more fashionable? Establishing a renewed interest in garment manufacturing!
The Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA), in partnership with the New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC), will launch the Fashion Manufacturing Initiative this month. The objective: raise funds for existing NYC factories to acquire innovative equipment and advanced technology and implement top-quality worker training.
The initiative includes all five boroughs, but will have a large and important effect of Manhattan’s Garment District. NYCEDC Presidnet Kyle Kimball accentuated the importance of manufacturing as part of the fashion industry in New York City:
It’s really born out of making sure that the fashion industry in New York City is able to modernize and stay with and ahead of global trends in design, manufacturing and production. This particular fund is focused on the second prong, manufacturing. We think there has been a real lack of investment in manufacturing infrastructure, and wanted a fund in place to introduce new and modern investment into manufacturing here.
We’re happy to see the focus center around manufacturing as part of the designing process. Many designers including Nanette Lepore and Prabal Gurung agree that, without a doubt, manufacturing has to come back to the U.S.
The Fashion Manufacturing Initiative will undoubtedly bring more made in the USA to New York Fashion Week.
Related recent Blogs
- Clean energy manufacturing gets help from DOE • by TGarland • 12/12/2013
- John Porcari, DOT Buy America champion, is stepping down • by mmcmullan • 12/12/2013
- December 12, 2013: Uh, an economic boom? • by mmcmullan • 12/12/2013
- #ShopAmerica: Health and Beauty gift ideas • by LDonia • 12/11/2013
- Now there's an idea: Using trade policy as leverage with China • by mmcmullan • 12/11/2013
- 5 Keys to American-Made Holiday Shopping • by TGarland • 12/11/2013
- December 11, 2013: US Trade Rep has not discussed this "currency manipulation" everyone keeps talking about • by mmcmullan • 12/11/2013
- The Big Three set the stage for a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/10/2013
- December 10, 2013: Welcome back, GM • by mmcmullan • 12/10/2013
- Pharmaceutical companies' interests are covered in the TPP -- as for everyone else? Ehh ... • by mmcmullan • 12/09/2013