Made in America: New York City Fashion
What could make the New York City fashion industry more fashionable? Establishing a renewed interest in garment manufacturing!
The Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA), in partnership with the New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC), will launch the Fashion Manufacturing Initiative this month. The objective: raise funds for existing NYC factories to acquire innovative equipment and advanced technology and implement top-quality worker training.
The initiative includes all five boroughs, but will have a large and important effect of Manhattan’s Garment District. NYCEDC Presidnet Kyle Kimball accentuated the importance of manufacturing as part of the fashion industry in New York City:
It’s really born out of making sure that the fashion industry in New York City is able to modernize and stay with and ahead of global trends in design, manufacturing and production. This particular fund is focused on the second prong, manufacturing. We think there has been a real lack of investment in manufacturing infrastructure, and wanted a fund in place to introduce new and modern investment into manufacturing here.
We’re happy to see the focus center around manufacturing as part of the designing process. Many designers including Nanette Lepore and Prabal Gurung agree that, without a doubt, manufacturing has to come back to the U.S.
The Fashion Manufacturing Initiative will undoubtedly bring more made in the USA to New York Fashion Week.
Related recent Blogs
- March 7, 2014: Weak #MFG job growth and a big trade deficit earn Obama the saddest of trombones • by mmcmullan • 03/07/2014
- It wasn't all weather: What's behind the weak manufacturing jobs report. • by admin • 03/07/2014
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- The U.S. needs a stronger domestic supply chain in the event of an attack • by TGarland • 03/04/2014
- Campaigns and political parties take note: We've got the key to attracting voters • by LDonia • 03/03/2014
- And the award goes to ... American workers • by TGarland • 03/03/2014
- March 3, 2014: Cold weather and cold Oscars pizza go together • by mmcmullan • 03/03/2014