Made in America Ice Cream, two ways: Home-made and Store-bought
In 1983, President Ronald Regan proclaimed that ice cream is a “nutritious and wholesome food,” enjoyed by over 90 percent of the country at the time. To honor this delicious dessert, Regan designated the month of July as National Ice Cream Month and July 15th as National Ice Cream Day.
According to the National Ice Cream Retailer’s Association, the United States continues to have a sweet spot for ice cream, citing the U.S as the world’s top consumer of the food.
Making home-made ice cream is a fun, unconventional activity to try in observance of National Ice Cream Month. Ohio-based Lehman’s sells old-fashioned style crank ice cream freezers that come in 4 quart, 6 quart, and 8 quart sizes. Each of the freezers is made with heavy-duty stainless steel and a leak-proof white oak tub with stainless adjustable bands.
If you would rather take the easy route, an environmentally or health-conscious ice cream company is also a good option.
Both Oregon-based Alden’s and California's Three Twins use only organic ingredients in their ice creams. Also, New York-based Raw IceCream makes vegan ice cream that comes in plant-based and renewable packaging.
No matter how you celebrate this whimsical tradition, be sure to keep it made in the USA.
Post researched and written by AAM Intern Jaclyn Knell. Photo taken from Lehman's website.
Related recent Blogs
- #ShopAmerica: Health and Beauty gift ideas • by LDonia • 12/11/2013
- Fmr. Transportaion Secretary Ray LaHood urges infrastructure investment • by TGarland • 12/02/2013
- December 2, 2013: American-made holiday shopping • by LDonia • 12/02/2013
- November 25, 2013: Uncontrollable turkey tension • by mmcmullan • 11/25/2013
- Garamendi emphasizes importance of Buy America preferences • by LDonia • 11/21/2013
- Direct from Griffin, GA: American-made towels • by LDonia • 11/20/2013
- Reporting from Ohio: Steve Bennish talks about Dayton's economy and "Scrappers" • by LDonia • 11/19/2013
- November 18, 2013: More new policy from China! • by mmcmullan • 11/18/2013
- Didn't catch President Obama at ArcelorMittal yesterday? • by LDonia • 11/15/2013
- Kar's Nuts in Madison Heights, Michigan: An AAM field coorindator visits the nut house • by mmcmullan • 11/15/2013