Made in America Ice Cream, two ways: Home-made and Store-bought
In 1983, President Ronald Regan proclaimed that ice cream is a “nutritious and wholesome food,” enjoyed by over 90 percent of the country at the time. To honor this delicious dessert, Regan designated the month of July as National Ice Cream Month and July 15th as National Ice Cream Day.
According to the National Ice Cream Retailer’s Association, the United States continues to have a sweet spot for ice cream, citing the U.S as the world’s top consumer of the food.
Making home-made ice cream is a fun, unconventional activity to try in observance of National Ice Cream Month. Ohio-based Lehman’s sells old-fashioned style crank ice cream freezers that come in 4 quart, 6 quart, and 8 quart sizes. Each of the freezers is made with heavy-duty stainless steel and a leak-proof white oak tub with stainless adjustable bands.
If you would rather take the easy route, an environmentally or health-conscious ice cream company is also a good option.
Both Oregon-based Alden’s and California's Three Twins use only organic ingredients in their ice creams. Also, New York-based Raw IceCream makes vegan ice cream that comes in plant-based and renewable packaging.
No matter how you celebrate this whimsical tradition, be sure to keep it made in the USA.
Post researched and written by AAM Intern Jaclyn Knell. Photo taken from Lehman's website.
Related recent Blogs
- 86th Annual Academy Awards: A glimpse at Los Angeles' manufacturing sector • by TGarland • 03/01/2014
- SUPER BOWL XLVIII: A very important football manufacturing fact • by LDonia • 02/02/2014
- SUPER BOWL XLVIII: Tailgating in luxury • by LDonia • 02/02/2014
- It's National Kazoo Day -- make sure your Kazoo is Made in the USA • by LDonia • 01/28/2014
- January 24 2014: Lots of legs on the stool that is manufacturing policy • by mmcmullan • 01/24/2014
- Californians trade hard-earned tax dollars for broken bridge and potentially criminal activity • by LDonia • 01/23/2014
- Warm your home or office the American-made way • by LDonia • 01/22/2014
- 5 pairs of Made in the USA jeans -- there's something for everyone • by LDonia • 01/17/2014
- January 17, 2014: Obama pushes forward on #mfg institutes. So let's keep pushing! • by mmcmullan • 01/17/2014
- The story of California Tool & Die: A manufacturing revival eludes mom-and-pop shops • by LDonia • 01/16/2014