Los Angeles, CA: Wooden furniture and boats
Offerman, of course, refers to Nick Offerman, better known as Ron Swanson, Pawnee’s outspoken libertarian, red meat and outdoor enthusiast.
When he’s not on set consuming fried turkey legs wrapped in hamburgers, Offerman builds tables, benches, boats, and beds in the woodshop he started after moving to Los Angeles. While Offerman ‘cut his woodworking teeth’ so to speak, at the University of Illinois theater department's scene shop and later building sets for Equity theaters in Chicago, when he arrived in L.A. there was little scene building work to be found. He started building decks and cabins with a friend and opened his shop not long after.
Not only are the pieces built at Offerman Woodshop American-made, but the wood all comes from California forests. Says the OWS website:
Every slab in our inventory has been hand-picked by Nick, all over the state of California. Every slab is from a fallen tree or salvage trunk, to boot. These gorgeous works of nature's art would become firewood if we didn't rescue them for our furniture.
And for any Parks and Rec' fans keeping track, Offerman Woodshop's facebook page includes an album of photos from a teambuilding exercise. Somewhere Leslie Knope is thrilled.
Image of table taken from Offerman Woodshop's website. Image of Ron Swanson from Parks and Recreation facebook page.
Related recent Blogs
- Nanette Lepore's New Shoe • by scapozzola • 05/24/2013
- May 24, 2013 Headlines: U.S.-EU trade deal exemptions, investing in U.S. manufacturing, and more. • by LRaup • 05/24/2013
- May 23, 2013 Headlines: Gains in the job market, small businesses manufacturing in the U.S.A., and more. • by LRaup • 05/23/2013
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013