Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas!
At ManufactureThis, we talk a lot about the 500,000 manufacturing jobs created since 2010. It’s a nice number to cite. But have you wondered where in the U.S. those jobs are sprouting up?
Forbes Magazine took a crack at that question. In a story published on its website, it lists the top ten “manufacturing boomtowns” in America.
Looking across the country, it is clear that industrial expansion has been a key element in boosting some of our most successful local economies. The large metro areas with the most momentum in expanding their manufacturing sectors also rank highly on our list of the cities that are generating the most jobs overall, including Houston-Sugarland-Baytown, Texas, which places first on our list of the big metro areas that are creating the most manufacturing jobs; Seattle-Bellevue-Everett, Wash. (third); Oklahoma City, Okla. (fourth), Nashville-Davidson-Murfreesboro-Franklin, Tenn. (No. 6); Ft. Worth, Texas (No. 9); and Salt Lake City, Utah (No. 10).
Other areas on the list include Louisville-Jefferson County, KY-IN (second); Warren-Troy-Farmington Hills, MI (fith); Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC (seventh); and Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI (ninth).
Taken as a whole, two areas of the country that did well on the list were the plains states, which have felt the good vibes given off by America’s recent homegrown energy boom; and the Great Lakes region, which has benefited from the slow recovery of the domestic auto industry.
Check out the Forbes story and its accompanying slideshow here.
Related recent Blogs
- Pharmaceutical companies' interests are covered in the TPP -- as for everyone else? Ehh ... • by mmcmullan • 12/09/2013
- A swing and a miss for Biden in Asia • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- December 9, 2013: China reports biggest trade surplus in five years • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- December 6, 2013: The #AAMeter, it moves (in the right direction)! • by mmcmullan • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013
- Indiana manufacturing program expands • by TGarland • 12/05/2013
- Scott Paul: Keep skilled jobs for skilled workers in Washington • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- December 5, 2013: Another voice for a currency rule in the TPP • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- Some Made in America gift ideas for the obnoxious teenager in your life • by LDonia • 12/04/2013