A look at the State of Steel in America
The Congressional Steel Caucus will host its annual State of Steel hearing tomorrow. Representatives from domestic steel companies and labor will offer persepctives on the current picture of the industry, and specifically how certain policy areas like trade, tax, energy, environment, and infrastructure can affect business.
ArcelorMittal USA CEO Michal Rippey will testify on the state of the steel industry:
The U.S. steel industry today operates over 100 facilities, employing 152,900 people, and producing steel shipments valued at $75 billion dollars in 2013. Every one job in the American steel industry supports nearly seven jobs, a critical multiplier for our communities. As a result, the steel industry, directly or indirectly, supports more than one million U.S. jobs.
United Steelworkers President Leo Gerard will highlight China’s unfair trade practices:
We need an action plan for success. It requires: Confronting China on its predatory practices, like currency manipulation, overcapacity, subsidies, and other policies. We also need to confront other countries on such practices as well.
Voters want Washington to get tough on China, too. According to the Alliance for American Manufacturing's (AAM) new poll: 60 percent of voters say the U.S. needs to “get tough” with countries like China in order to halt unfair trade practices.
Check back tomorrow for our recap of the State of Steel hearing.
Related recent Blogs
- Congress Still Hasn't Made a Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by mmcmullan • 07/30/2014
- UCLA Flood: A Real Life of Example of What Happens When We Ignore Our Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 07/30/2014
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014