LIVEBLOG: U.S. Steel CEO Mario Longhi Urges Federal Action at #SOSJobs Rally to Curb Unfair Trade by America’s Trading Partners.
At today's #SOSJobs Rally in Munhall, Pennsylvania, U.S. Steel President and CEO Mario Longhi was introduced by Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) President Scott Paul as a leader who “wants results” and who could explain to the gathered crowd the significance of a pending trade case on oil country tubular goods (OCTG) steel pipe.
Longhi expressed his pleasure with the size of the gathering, but noted that unfair trade in steel products is taking advantage of the American markets, “the most open in the world.”
He said that the duties imposed on China were significant, but that when they are withdrawn, the dumping continues apace.
“These countries are only making products for sale in America. Our products, like you, our people, are second to none. But at the end of the day we cannot compete with governments that break the rules.
“Our nation’s economy is threatened,” he said, by the practices of unfair trade. He urged the crowd to talk to their neighbors about these problems, and to write to officials in Washington, calling on them to ensure “that our laws are enforced.
“Let’s make sure that they hear us, loud and clear. We’re not asking for anything but fairness,” he concluded.
Learn more about the threats facing America's steel sector.
Related recent Blogs
- IMTS 2014: The View From AAM's Booth • by mmcmullan • 09/12/2014
- Sneak Peek: Titan-American Built Star Titan Gilroy Chats with Scott Paul about the Made-in-China Bay Bridge • by elizabethbb • 09/10/2014
- Public and Private Sectors Come Together to Promote Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 09/09/2014
- Berry Could Be a Big Win for American Shoemakers • by mmcmullan • 09/08/2014
- Visit AAM This Week at the International Manufacturing Technology Show • by TGarland • 09/07/2014
- Manufacturing sector gains zero jobs in August: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 09/05/2014
- China trade deficit hits new record in July: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 09/04/2014
- Green Bay v. Seattle: Both Cities Victors in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 09/04/2014
- Joe Biden Praises Apprenticeships at NH Shipyard • by mmcmullan • 09/03/2014
- We’re Celebrating Factory Man — and You Could Win a Copy! • by elizabethbb • 09/03/2014