LIVEBLOG: U.S. Steel CEO Mario Longhi Urges Federal Action at #SOSJobs Rally to Curb Unfair Trade by America’s Trading Partners.
At today's #SOSJobs Rally in Munhall, Pennsylvania, U.S. Steel President and CEO Mario Longhi was introduced by Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) President Scott Paul as a leader who “wants results” and who could explain to the gathered crowd the significance of a pending trade case on oil country tubular goods (OCTG) steel pipe.
Longhi expressed his pleasure with the size of the gathering, but noted that unfair trade in steel products is taking advantage of the American markets, “the most open in the world.”
He said that the duties imposed on China were significant, but that when they are withdrawn, the dumping continues apace.
“These countries are only making products for sale in America. Our products, like you, our people, are second to none. But at the end of the day we cannot compete with governments that break the rules.
“Our nation’s economy is threatened,” he said, by the practices of unfair trade. He urged the crowd to talk to their neighbors about these problems, and to write to officials in Washington, calling on them to ensure “that our laws are enforced.
“Let’s make sure that they hear us, loud and clear. We’re not asking for anything but fairness,” he concluded.
Learn more about the threats facing America's steel sector.
Related recent Blogs
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014