Liveblog: State legislators join the #SOSJobs rally in Lorain, Ohio
Next up were the state legislators. State Senator Gayle Manning thanked the crowd for "all you do every day," and emphasized the importance of Lorain's pipe and tube production to the continuing development of energy from Ohio's Marcellus Shale gas deposits.
Manning shared information on her legislation to require operators to disclose the country of origin of the pipe and tube products they purchase. She praised U.S. Steel and the people of Ohio for working together for more than 100 years, and said that work must continue now "to put an end to the illegal dumping of tubular steel."
"Here in Lorain, steel is in our blood. It's in our history. And we're here to remind the world: it's also our future." -Dan Ramos #SOSJobs— AAM (@KeepitMadeinUSA) May 5, 2014
Ohio State Representative Dan Ramos, who represents much of Lorain County, was up next. Here's what he had to say:
My father came here from occupied Poland, and we wouldn't have heard of this place if it hadn't been for U.S. Steel. Steel is part of who we are. Lorain's operation is known the world over for creating a high quality product, and doing it safely.
Ramos referred to action taken in recent years to stem the tide of job loss created by China's unfair trading practices. "We can not let that happen again" by allowing South Korea to do what China did earlier at great cost to the U.S. economy, Ramos told the crowd.
"We don't need to reinvent the rule," he said. "We need and we demand a level playing field."
Related recent Blogs
- More Exports Are Nice, but Let’s Not Forget about Surging Imports • by elizabethbb • 09/02/2014
- Budweiser Made in America Festival Lives Up to Its Name • by TGarland • 09/02/2014
- Labor Day Travel a Reminder Why We Need Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 08/29/2014
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014