Liveblog: State legislators join the #SOSJobs rally in Lorain, Ohio
Next up were the state legislators. State Senator Gayle Manning thanked the crowd for "all you do every day," and emphasized the importance of Lorain's pipe and tube production to the continuing development of energy from Ohio's Marcellus Shale gas deposits.
Manning shared information on her legislation to require operators to disclose the country of origin of the pipe and tube products they purchase. She praised U.S. Steel and the people of Ohio for working together for more than 100 years, and said that work must continue now "to put an end to the illegal dumping of tubular steel."
"Here in Lorain, steel is in our blood. It's in our history. And we're here to remind the world: it's also our future." -Dan Ramos #SOSJobs— AAM (@KeepitMadeinUSA) May 5, 2014
Ohio State Representative Dan Ramos, who represents much of Lorain County, was up next. Here's what he had to say:
My father came here from occupied Poland, and we wouldn't have heard of this place if it hadn't been for U.S. Steel. Steel is part of who we are. Lorain's operation is known the world over for creating a high quality product, and doing it safely.
Ramos referred to action taken in recent years to stem the tide of job loss created by China's unfair trading practices. "We can not let that happen again" by allowing South Korea to do what China did earlier at great cost to the U.S. economy, Ramos told the crowd.
"We don't need to reinvent the rule," he said. "We need and we demand a level playing field."
Related recent Blogs
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014
- Improving Our Railways: A Key Part of Rebuilding America • by elizabethbb • 08/14/2014
- Five Tests Walmart Must Pass to Show its 'Made In America' Street Cred • by spaul • 08/13/2014
- More Evidence the "Jobs Recovery" Isn’t All It’s Cracked Up to Be • by elizabethbb • 08/12/2014
- More Work to Do, Indeed • by elizabethbb • 08/11/2014
- WTO Upholds Ruling Finding China Guilty in Rare Earths Export Restraints Case: Alliance for American Manufacturing statement. • by scapozzola • 08/07/2014
- No, Technology Isn’t an Automatic Job Killer • by elizabethbb • 08/07/2014
- Secretary Foxx Wants YOU… to Do Something about Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 08/06/2014