Liveblog: State legislators join the #SOSJobs rally in Lorain, Ohio
Next up were the state legislators. State Senator Gayle Manning thanked the crowd for "all you do every day," and emphasized the importance of Lorain's pipe and tube production to the continuing development of energy from Ohio's Marcellus Shale gas deposits.
Manning shared information on her legislation to require operators to disclose the country of origin of the pipe and tube products they purchase. She praised U.S. Steel and the people of Ohio for working together for more than 100 years, and said that work must continue now "to put an end to the illegal dumping of tubular steel."
"Here in Lorain, steel is in our blood. It's in our history. And we're here to remind the world: it's also our future." -Dan Ramos #SOSJobs— AAM (@KeepitMadeinUSA) May 5, 2014
Ohio State Representative Dan Ramos, who represents much of Lorain County, was up next. Here's what he had to say:
My father came here from occupied Poland, and we wouldn't have heard of this place if it hadn't been for U.S. Steel. Steel is part of who we are. Lorain's operation is known the world over for creating a high quality product, and doing it safely.
Ramos referred to action taken in recent years to stem the tide of job loss created by China's unfair trading practices. "We can not let that happen again" by allowing South Korea to do what China did earlier at great cost to the U.S. economy, Ramos told the crowd.
"We don't need to reinvent the rule," he said. "We need and we demand a level playing field."
Related recent Blogs
- Manufacturing sector adds 28,000 jobs in July: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 08/01/2014
- New "Gigafactory" set to create thousands of jobs in the U.S. • by TGarland • 07/31/2014
- Congress Still Hasn't Made a Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by mmcmullan • 07/30/2014
- UCLA Flood: A Real Life of Example of What Happens When We Ignore Our Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 07/30/2014
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014