LIVEBLOG: At #SOSJobs Rally in Minnesota's Iron Range, Gov. Mark Dayton Calls for Action to Save State's Mining Jobs.
At this morning's #SOSJobs rally in Virginia, Minnesota, Gov. Mark Dayton highlighted Minnesota's proud mining tradition. He said that saving the state's mining and steel industry jobs has a historical precedent.
Addressing a packed rally of both mineworkers and steelworkers at the Miners Memorial Building in Virginia, Gov. Dayton explained:
The history of the Iron Range is the story of people standing strong against oppression. Too often the government won’t stand up for them. Courageous men and women fought for their rights. That fight continues.
Dumped steel takes away your jobs. This is not a new fight.
It’s time to create more OCTG steel to meet demand for energy exploration. But what does our Department of Commerce do? Give South Korea a free pass to dump that OCTG steel pipe in the U.S. market. Korea doesn’t even have oil reserves to tap with the pipe it produces.
Iron Range productivity and ingenuity will win every time if you’re given a fair chance to compete. We need to use American steel, made with Minnesota taconite, to make our bridges and buildings.
Our government should stand with all of you. We should send all of your Iron Range delegation to Washington, and things would get a lot better.
Related recent Blogs
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014
- No Electricity Needed for Corter Leather & Cloth • by elizabethbb • 08/15/2014
- Improving Our Railways: A Key Part of Rebuilding America • by elizabethbb • 08/14/2014
- Five Tests Walmart Must Pass to Show its 'Made In America' Street Cred • by spaul • 08/13/2014
- More Evidence the "Jobs Recovery" Isn’t All It’s Cracked Up to Be • by elizabethbb • 08/12/2014
- More Work to Do, Indeed • by elizabethbb • 08/11/2014