Liveblog: Sherrod Brown calls for action on unfair trade at the #SOSJobs rally
U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown referred to the canary in the bird cage that was the alarm to miners that danger was impending.
"That's what the Labor Movement has been in America: The canary in the bird cage."
The message that he said needs to be sent to Washington is what the steel industry, the manufacturing sector and their unions do to preserve the middle class. Between 2000 and 2010, 60,000 plants have closed. Since 2010, he pointed out, 600,000 manufacturing jobs have come back since the auto industry rescue and better enforcement of the nation's trade laws in steel, in tire, and in paper. The lesson?
When our government fights for us, it saves jobs and it puts people back to work, and that's why this rally is so important.
Brown referred to an earlier visit he made to the Lorain U.S. Steel plant, and how vibrant the economy used to be in Lorain. Since then, he said, "Congress, unfortunately has passed NAFTA, PNTR and other trade agreements," despite Brown's opposition and that of Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur. "We just want a level playing, if we can get the Commerce Department to enforce the laws, we can save these jobs."
Related recent Blogs
- More Exports Are Nice, but Let’s Not Forget about Surging Imports • by elizabethbb • 09/02/2014
- Budweiser Made in America Festival Lives Up to Its Name • by TGarland • 09/02/2014
- Labor Day Travel a Reminder Why We Need Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 08/29/2014
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014