Liveblog: Sherrod Brown calls for action on unfair trade at the #SOSJobs rally
U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown referred to the canary in the bird cage that was the alarm to miners that danger was impending.
"That's what the Labor Movement has been in America: The canary in the bird cage."
The message that he said needs to be sent to Washington is what the steel industry, the manufacturing sector and their unions do to preserve the middle class. Between 2000 and 2010, 60,000 plants have closed. Since 2010, he pointed out, 600,000 manufacturing jobs have come back since the auto industry rescue and better enforcement of the nation's trade laws in steel, in tire, and in paper. The lesson?
When our government fights for us, it saves jobs and it puts people back to work, and that's why this rally is so important.
Brown referred to an earlier visit he made to the Lorain U.S. Steel plant, and how vibrant the economy used to be in Lorain. Since then, he said, "Congress, unfortunately has passed NAFTA, PNTR and other trade agreements," despite Brown's opposition and that of Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur. "We just want a level playing, if we can get the Commerce Department to enforce the laws, we can save these jobs."
Related recent Blogs
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014
- Improving Our Railways: A Key Part of Rebuilding America • by elizabethbb • 08/14/2014
- Five Tests Walmart Must Pass to Show its 'Made In America' Street Cred • by spaul • 08/13/2014
- More Evidence the "Jobs Recovery" Isn’t All It’s Cracked Up to Be • by elizabethbb • 08/12/2014
- More Work to Do, Indeed • by elizabethbb • 08/11/2014
- WTO Upholds Ruling Finding China Guilty in Rare Earths Export Restraints Case: Alliance for American Manufacturing statement. • by scapozzola • 08/07/2014
- No, Technology Isn’t an Automatic Job Killer • by elizabethbb • 08/07/2014
- Secretary Foxx Wants YOU… to Do Something about Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 08/06/2014