Liveblog: Lorain #SOSJobs rally against unfair trade
A rally in Lorain, Ohio this afternoon will protest unfair trading practices by America’s foreign competitors that is creating a crisis in the steel industry. If these practices go unaddressed, it threatens to wipe out thousands of jobs and push many companies to the brink of bankruptcy.
Here's what we know: A surge of illegally dumped imports of pipe and tube products -- the kind of products used for energy exploration -- is battering the domestic steel industry and, specifically, mills in towns like Lorain that have provided thousands of jobs for northeastern Ohio residents for decades. Initiated by the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM), today's rally is the first of several that will heighten public awareness of the burgeoning problem created by unfair trade in steel products that threatens to repeat the damage done by earlier gluts of global steel resulting from unfair currency and trading practices by international competitors such as South Korea and China, among others. The lineup of speakers at the rally reflects the bipartisan alarm being raised: U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH) and Representative Marcy Kaptur (D-OH) will be joined by U.S. Senator Rob Portman’s (R-OH) district director, Caryn Candisky, and Ohio State Senator Gayle Manning (R-13). And there will be plenty of union leaders and community representatives on hand, too.
Related recent Blogs
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- We’re Live From Netroots Nation! • by elizabethbb • 07/17/2014
- So Much For Promises: China's Manipulating Its Currency, Again • by mmcmullan • 07/17/2014
- The OCTG Trade Case Heads to the International Trade Commission • by TGarland • 07/16/2014