Liveblog: Lorain #SOSJobs rally against unfair trade
A rally in Lorain, Ohio this afternoon will protest unfair trading practices by America’s foreign competitors that is creating a crisis in the steel industry. If these practices go unaddressed, it threatens to wipe out thousands of jobs and push many companies to the brink of bankruptcy.
Here's what we know: A surge of illegally dumped imports of pipe and tube products -- the kind of products used for energy exploration -- is battering the domestic steel industry and, specifically, mills in towns like Lorain that have provided thousands of jobs for northeastern Ohio residents for decades. Initiated by the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM), today's rally is the first of several that will heighten public awareness of the burgeoning problem created by unfair trade in steel products that threatens to repeat the damage done by earlier gluts of global steel resulting from unfair currency and trading practices by international competitors such as South Korea and China, among others. The lineup of speakers at the rally reflects the bipartisan alarm being raised: U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH) and Representative Marcy Kaptur (D-OH) will be joined by U.S. Senator Rob Portman’s (R-OH) district director, Caryn Candisky, and Ohio State Senator Gayle Manning (R-13). And there will be plenty of union leaders and community representatives on hand, too.
Related recent Blogs
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014