LIVEBLOG: Local business leaders know steel jobs affect the entire community
Two local business leaders joining the #SOSjobs rally in Lone Star spoke about the local impact of U. S. Steel Lone Star. The steel import crisis doesn’t only threaten jobs inside the plant, but jobs in the surrounding community.
North East Texas Credit Union President and CEO Kay Stewart witnessed first hand how a shutdown affects her job and the local community:
Save our jobs! That’s our battle cry today. I can say our jobs because if this plant closes, our jobs at North East Texas Credit Union would be on the line, too. Our jobs and business rely on the people that work at U. S. Steel Lone Star.
Let’s do everything in our power to not let the plant close again. Write, email, and go see your representatives and senators to help save our jobs.
Aaron Nilsson, owner of WOI Petroleum, Inc. joined her call:
This mill is the life blood of our community. Everything starts right here in these gates and moves outwards. This plant establishes the base of our local commerce.
Learn about the steel trade case facing American steelworkers.
Pictured: Aaron Nilsson of WOI Petroleum.
Related recent Blogs
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- We’re Live From Netroots Nation! • by elizabethbb • 07/17/2014
- So Much For Promises: China's Manipulating Its Currency, Again • by mmcmullan • 07/17/2014
- The OCTG Trade Case Heads to the International Trade Commission • by TGarland • 07/16/2014
- Postcard from Iowa: AAM Field Coordinators Hop The Fence, Hang With Democrats • by mmcmullan • 07/16/2014
- Yellen: Infrastructure Funding Would "Counter" Economic Headwinds • by elizabethbb • 07/15/2014