LIVEBLOG: Local business leaders know steel jobs affect the entire community
Two local business leaders joining the #SOSjobs rally in Lone Star spoke about the local impact of U. S. Steel Lone Star. The steel import crisis doesn’t only threaten jobs inside the plant, but jobs in the surrounding community.
North East Texas Credit Union President and CEO Kay Stewart witnessed first hand how a shutdown affects her job and the local community:
Save our jobs! That’s our battle cry today. I can say our jobs because if this plant closes, our jobs at North East Texas Credit Union would be on the line, too. Our jobs and business rely on the people that work at U. S. Steel Lone Star.
Let’s do everything in our power to not let the plant close again. Write, email, and go see your representatives and senators to help save our jobs.
Aaron Nilsson, owner of WOI Petroleum, Inc. joined her call:
This mill is the life blood of our community. Everything starts right here in these gates and moves outwards. This plant establishes the base of our local commerce.
Learn about the steel trade case facing American steelworkers.
Pictured: Aaron Nilsson of WOI Petroleum.
Related recent Blogs
- More Exports Are Nice, but Let’s Not Forget about Surging Imports • by elizabethbb • 09/02/2014
- Budweiser Made in America Festival Lives Up to Its Name • by TGarland • 09/02/2014
- Labor Day Travel a Reminder Why We Need Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 08/29/2014
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014