LIVE: A Manufacturing Jobs Summit in Merrillville, IN
The Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) is visiting Merrillville, Indiana tonight for a “Manufacturing Our Future” Jobs Summit. The event is being streamed live.
The event is focused on the training and policies needed to keep the U.S. competitive globally by encouraging and preparing young people to enter good-paying careers in manufacturing. A recent study by the National Skills Coalition estimates that by 2016 more than 487,000 Indiana middle-skill job openings will be available – requiring more than a high school diploma, but less than a four-year degree.
White House Counselor on Manufacturing Policy Ron Bloom is the keynote speaker at the meeting.
BLOOM: Students should view a career in manufacturing as a productive option...Manufacturing matters. It supports millions of American jobs...We need manufacturing to sustain our industrial base...The American people get it-- manufacturing supports our economy...Many people are not aware of what is actually involved in a manufacturing career. The common perception is not positive...In truth, manufacturing requires a number of skills...We are moving to a world where manufacturing involves complex technologies. Finding workers to fill these jobs is important...Manufacturing can be a great place to work...We need to ensure that good-paying manufacturing jobs are available.
Related recent Blogs
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- December 6, 2013: The #AAMeter, it moves (in the right direction)! • by mmcmullan • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013
- Indiana manufacturing program expands • by TGarland • 12/05/2013
- Scott Paul: Keep skilled jobs for skilled workers in Washington • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- December 5, 2013: Another voice for a currency rule in the TPP • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- Some Made in America gift ideas for the obnoxious teenager in your life • by LDonia • 12/04/2013
- A bad time to sideline trade talks • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013
- Infrastructure investment means job creation • by TGarland • 12/04/2013
- December 4, 2013: Familiar trade deficit doldrums • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013