Life on Mars...as envisioned by Nanette Lepore
Earlier this week, while we, at the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM), were preparing for the State of the Union address, our friend, fashion designer Nanette Lepore was preparing for life on Mars.
On Wednesday, Lepore unveiled her Mars Rover-inspired Fall 2013 designs as part of New York Fashion Week. And judging by the aftermath, her line was a hit. Fashionistas on Twitter were abuzz with 140-character-or-less reviews, each trying to fit in outerspace puns. (“I’m over the moon!” “Your designs are out of this world!”)
It’s understandable; the designs are unique, but also quite wearable. (And dare I say, some may even be work-appropriate…) Lepore, who is known for making her clothes in the United States, took to Tumblr last week to tease her show and designs – posting sketches, quotations, photographs and even some-what cryptic messages. (“tomorrow we traverse unexplored terrains”)
Design sketch taken from Lepore's tumblr.
Related recent Blogs
- Gathered in the USA • by TGarland • 04/15/2014
- April 14, 2014: Opinions, opinions, and Peeps • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- Fashion Friday: Accessorizing the American-made way • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- Manufacturing Jobs & #EqualPay • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- April 11, 2014: Cherry blossoms! • by mmcmullan • 04/11/2014
- Throwback Thursday: Obama promises 1 million new manufacturing jobs • by TGarland • 04/10/2014
- Made in Elma, New York: A special delivery from Mark Andol • by TGarland • 04/09/2014
- Rep. Tonko brings filmmakers to Washington to talk American manufacturing • by TGarland • 04/08/2014
- RADIO: Why is manufacturing important for job creation in Michigan (and the U.S.)? • by scapozzola • 04/07/2014
- Spring into warm weather with Made in USA Nail Polish • by LRaup • 04/04/2014