Let's help China build its stealth navy.
The Associated Press reports that China has launched the first ship in a new class of stealth missile frigates. Specifically, the People's Liberation Army Navy is "building a total of 20 Type 056 Jiangdao class frigates to replace older models and bolster its ability to conduct patrols and escort ships and submarines in waters it claims in the South China and East China seas."
It's likely that the Pentagon isn't jumping for joy when it sees the Chinese military continuing to ramp up its military. But the real irony is that U.S. money has helped to fund this naval expansion.
America's huge trade deficit with China—worth a few hundred billion dollars annually, and $315 billion in 2012 alone—effectively bankrolls Beijing's activities. So whether it's an expanding military, state-of-the-art high-speed rail, or cyber hacking, America's consumer spending is helping to build it.
What makes the most sense is to begin to enforce U.S. trade laws, both to create a level playing field for U.S. exporters and to help reduce the trade debt that pays for China's expanded army and navy.
Related recent Blogs
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Japan's currency moves are heating up a trade problem • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013