Let's be clear about something: China only responds to real action and the threat of consequences
A bipartisan group of U.S. Senators recently introduced the Currency Exchange Rate Oversight Act of 2011 to provide recourse for U.S. manufacturers adversely affected by China's ongoing currency undervaluation.
In a letter to the Senate explaining the importance of this legislation, Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Executive Director Scott Paul set the record straight regarding this new legislation:
Myth: Action by Congress would not “create any incentive for China to move expeditiously to modify its exchange rate policies."
Fact: History shows that China only acts when presented with the threat of real consequences. Faced with a similar situation in 2005, the U.S. Senate acted decisively and passed bipartisan legislation introduced by Senators Charles Schumer (NY) and Lindsey Graham (SC) by a vote of 67-33. This action prompted China to steadily appreciate its currency by 21 percent until it again resumed its peg to the dollar in July 2008.
Related recent Blogs
- Treasury decision on China currency will cost U.S. jobs: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 04/15/2014
- OPINION: Fix the vulnerable defense industrial base • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- Manufacturing Jobs & #EqualPay • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- Rep. Sandy Levin talks currency and the TPP • by mmcmullan • 04/10/2014
- Throwback Thursday: Obama promises 1 million new manufacturing jobs • by TGarland • 04/10/2014
- What can we expect from the upcoming Treasury report on exchange rates? • by mmcmullan • 04/08/2014
- Rep. Tonko brings filmmakers to Washington to talk American manufacturing • by TGarland • 04/08/2014
- RADIO: Why is manufacturing important for job creation in Michigan (and the U.S.)? • by scapozzola • 04/07/2014
- Creating Jobs Now: USW and AAM take the next step in Akron • by TGarland • 04/04/2014
- Manufacturing sector loses 1,000 jobs in March: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 04/04/2014