Let's be clear about something: China only responds to real action and the threat of consequences
A bipartisan group of U.S. Senators recently introduced the Currency Exchange Rate Oversight Act of 2011 to provide recourse for U.S. manufacturers adversely affected by China's ongoing currency undervaluation.
In a letter to the Senate explaining the importance of this legislation, Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Executive Director Scott Paul set the record straight regarding this new legislation:
Myth: Action by Congress would not “create any incentive for China to move expeditiously to modify its exchange rate policies."
Fact: History shows that China only acts when presented with the threat of real consequences. Faced with a similar situation in 2005, the U.S. Senate acted decisively and passed bipartisan legislation introduced by Senators Charles Schumer (NY) and Lindsey Graham (SC) by a vote of 67-33. This action prompted China to steadily appreciate its currency by 21 percent until it again resumed its peg to the dollar in July 2008.
Related recent Blogs
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- We’re Live From Netroots Nation! • by elizabethbb • 07/17/2014
- So Much For Promises: China's Manipulating Its Currency, Again • by mmcmullan • 07/17/2014
- The OCTG Trade Case Heads to the International Trade Commission • by TGarland • 07/16/2014
- Postcard from Iowa: AAM Field Coordinators Hop The Fence, Hang With Democrats • by mmcmullan • 07/16/2014