A key sentence in the State of the Union
In Tuesday night's 'State of the Union,' President Obama made a very specific point on the subject of trade policy:
It’s not fair when foreign manufacturers have a leg up on ours only because they’re heavily subsidized.
The president is absolutely right that U.S. manufacturers face "subsidized" competition. And those subsidies violate world trade law.
1. China provides massive energy subsidies for its steel industry, amounting to roughly $27 billion in the last decade alone;
2. China and several other countries preferentially undervalue their currency so as to artificially cheapen the cost of their exports.
These predatory trade practices present a huge (and illegal) hurdle for U.S. manufacturers to surmount. What's needed is for the administration to bring trade cases against such subsidies. And furthermore, the White House is long overdue to officially cite China as a currency manipulator, thus initiating recourse for U.S. manufacturers who have been adversely affected by such subsidized competition.
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Japan's currency moves are heating up a trade problem • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013