Key points from new national poll on voter attitudes ahead of fall election
This morning, the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) released the results of a new national poll.
Voters say that creating jobs, specifically in manufacturing, and strengthening manufacturing in the U.S., are their top economic priorities,
Some key findings from the poll:
1. There is strong public support across the country for Obama’s auto rescue efforts. (When properly explained, support for the auto rescue is high. However, the “rescue story” doesn’t explain itself.)
2. The vast majority of voters see the U.S. as not having the strongest economy in the world.
3. Fewer than 25% think anyone in Washington, DC is doing a great deal to help enforce a level playing field for U.S. manufacturers.
4. “Made in America” continues to be very popular. (Buy American policies are extremely popular and the Oakland Bay Bridge fiasco provides an effective story)
5. Creating jobs, specifically in manufacturing, tops the public’s agenda. (Not talking about jobs means overlooking voters’ key anxiety.)
6. Voters are hearing more about manufacturing but are not convinced much is getting done. (Voters want more than talk—they are demanding aggressive action to help manufacturing, which they see as the irreplaceable core of a strong economy. They see manufacturing as a source of jobs, and they grasp the importance of making things in the U.S.)
7. Voters have increasingly positive feelings about U.S. companies and products, particularly the auto industry.
8. Voters express deep concern about, and want tougher action on, China. (Voters voice strong support for tough action against China, dismissing those who voice concern about such an approach.)
9. The country wants a national manufacturing strategy.
10. There is overwhelming support for proposals that: discourage outsourcing, strongly enforce trade rules, provide retraining and education, implement Buy America policy, and create incentives for investment in the U.S.
Related recent Blogs
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013