Keep your Labor Day fun in the sun American-made
In just a few short days, many people in the United States will enjoy a long weekend, in honor of Labor Day.
For those whose plans include some time outside, we wanted to provide some guidance on making sure your fun is American-made.
Below is the American-made day at the beach we posted last summer. To keep things new and interesting, here are a couple more Made In The USA products to include as part of your outdoor activities:
Texas Recreation makes vinyl floatation devices of all shapes and sizes (ranging from children's life jackets to elaborate pool chairs a rafts) at two factories in Texas. The company has a store locator on its website, but its products are also available on Amazon.
If you're having a picnic, or are just enjoying snacks outdoors, you'll want to make sure your drink stays cold. Stormy Kromer makes drink "koozies" in Ironwood, MI. You can choose from various plaid fabrics, and they're available for purchase through the company's website or by using its retailer locator.
If you'll have children in tow, some entertaining outdoor activities may be in order. Older kids and teenagers might like Zap Skimboards, which are handmade in Venice, FL. (The website has a locator.) For your younger travel companions, Zoë B Organic's "fantastic beach toys" are chemical free. You can buy them through the company's site or on Amazon.
While we may be closer to the end of summer than the beginning, there’s still plenty of time for a trip to the beach.
Here’s a quick guide to keeping your fun in the sun "Made in America."
- Transport your snacks in a cooler from Conyers, GA-based Softcoolers. They promise a lifetime warranty on their American-made coolers.
- Protect your skin with Badger sunscreen made in Gilsum, NH. The sunscreen is certified organic and in 2010 was named, by the Environmental Working Group, as among the best sunscreens.
- Get comfortable in a beach chair from the Cape Cod Beach Chair Company, which manufactures its chairs in, you guessed it, Cape Cod, MA.
- Make it shady wherever you are with a beach umbrella from Myrtle Beach, SC-based Lack’s Outdoor Furniture. And, if Myrtle Beach happens to be where you are, you can take a tour of Lack’s factory and see the umbrellas being manufactured.
- Dry off with a beach towel from American Apparel, which are made in Morehead, KY.
- And finally, stow all your stuff in an American-made beach bag from Tuscumbia, AL-based Carter & Co.
Photos courtesy of each company's website.
Related recent Blogs
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- So Excellent, So Bodacious: Check Out Some American-made Smartphone Style • by mmcmullan • 07/18/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- Postcard from Iowa: AAM Field Coordinators Hop The Fence, Hang With Democrats • by mmcmullan • 07/16/2014
- Yellen: Infrastructure Funding Would "Counter" Economic Headwinds • by elizabethbb • 07/15/2014
- Let’s Build a Bridge and Fix the Highway Trust Fund • by elizabethbb • 07/15/2014
- AAM Statement: Commerce Department Decision on South Korean OCTG Dumping. • by scapozzola • 07/11/2014