June 8, 2011 Headlines: Obama's Manufacturing Speech, New York Times on Protectionism, GM to pay back Government, and More
The Hill: President Obama will focus on the skills needed for manufacturing in a speech today.
A New York Times editorial (predictably) argues that protectionism is bad. But it cites anti-dumping laws as being protectionist. So standing up to protectionism is protectionism? C’mon (NYT). And, standing up to China works, at least on clean energy (IW).
Some lessons from Germany that we could adopt. For instance, industrial policy (WaPo). Neil Irwin has one take, and David Leonhardt chimes in (NYT).
Harold Meyerson says Obama has not done enough to boost jobs and create economic opportunity. He’s right (WaPo). Voters may not be pleased in 2012 (Politico).
FT: Is Obama looking at another “stimulus”?
NYT: Want to raise capital? Head overseas.
NYT: GM still aims to pay back all of its government loans.
Related recent Blogs
- Reps. Daniel Lipinski (D-IL) and Michael Grimm (R-NY) form new Congressional Public Transportation Caucus. • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- Homeland Security and Gov. Tom Ridge • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- CNBC: Is a Chinese construction firm benefiting from its Beijing connection? • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- May 23, 2013 Headlines: Gains in the job market, small businesses manufacturing in the U.S.A., and more. • by LRaup • 05/23/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013