June 8, 2011 Headlines: Obama's Manufacturing Speech, New York Times on Protectionism, GM to pay back Government, and More
The Hill: President Obama will focus on the skills needed for manufacturing in a speech today.
A New York Times editorial (predictably) argues that protectionism is bad. But it cites anti-dumping laws as being protectionist. So standing up to protectionism is protectionism? C’mon (NYT). And, standing up to China works, at least on clean energy (IW).
Some lessons from Germany that we could adopt. For instance, industrial policy (WaPo). Neil Irwin has one take, and David Leonhardt chimes in (NYT).
Harold Meyerson says Obama has not done enough to boost jobs and create economic opportunity. He’s right (WaPo). Voters may not be pleased in 2012 (Politico).
FT: Is Obama looking at another “stimulus”?
NYT: Want to raise capital? Head overseas.
NYT: GM still aims to pay back all of its government loans.
Related recent Blogs
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013