June 16, 2014: AAM live in Alabama for a #SOSJobs rally
and welcome to the Early Shift. The Alliance for American Manufacturing has a busy day planned; at 4 pm ET, we’re rallying with steelworkers in Alabama whose jobs are being threatened by a surge of dumped steel pipe and tube from South Korea.
Are you in the Birmingham area? Well then: Gas up the car and come out and join us. But if you aren’t, then there are still plenty of ways you can participate. First, visit our website and get the facts on the details of this trade dispute. Then, join the conversation on Twitter with the #SOSJobs hashtag. And when 4 pm ET rolls around, watch the livestream of today’s rally. We’ll also be tweeting and live-blogging commentary too.
But what else is happening out there?
The Associated Press has a pretty clear-eyed take on what the loss of manufacturing jobs has meant to places like Reading, Pennsylvania:
Globalization, automation and recession destroyed nearly 6 million manufacturing jobs between 2000 and 2009. In Pennsylvania, between 2001 and 2011, 258,000 middle-income factory jobs were lost. At the same time, Pennsylvania added jobs at the lower end of the wage spectrum — in health care and social services — and at the highest end, in sectors like management and finance.
And from the Business of Fashion comes a similarly clear-eyed opinion on domestic apparel manufacturing:
Why would America want to “re-shore” an industry that is having a hard time paying its workers $100 a month in the Third World? Should we not be training and developing the future American workforce for higher skilled manufacturing where the better education and training many workers receive in the US could offer us a competitive advantage?
As a matter of fact, AAM has got an answer to that question. We call it the blueprint for the future.
And that’s it. That’s it and that’s all. We’ll see you at 4 pm ET, live from Alabama!
Related recent Blogs
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- The OCTG Trade Case Heads to the International Trade Commission • by TGarland • 07/16/2014
- What's next in the OCTG trade case? • by mmcmullan • 07/14/2014
- July 14, 2014: Commerce gets its OCTG ruling RIGHT! • by mmcmullan • 07/14/2014
- AAM Statement: Commerce Department Decision on South Korean OCTG Dumping. • by scapozzola • 07/11/2014
- The Top 4 Things to Know About #SOSJobs • by elizabethbb • 07/09/2014
- To Save Our Steel Jobs, It's Now or Never • by elizabethbb • 07/07/2014
- July 7, 2014: The final #SOSJobs countdown • by mmcmullan • 07/07/2014
- Spreading the Word: The American Prospect Features Save Our Steel Jobs Campaign • by elizabethbb • 07/03/2014
- As American as Apple Pie — But Made Overseas • by TGarland • 07/02/2014